Forums

Solar Charging System

Solar Charging System

Tesla should develop and sell a solar charging system for home use. A simple, reasonably priced, turn key system that could be installed on a house just for vehicle charging. If they would do this, how many Tesla owners would be interested? I know I would be. I have a Model 3, looking at buying a Model X in near future. Thoughts?

Jones | 2020年3月10日

You are already on the site - it's your choice on how to configure your solar output...power your house, your car(s) or all of the above. It is simply a matter of connections (and scale). The logistics of vehicle charging are usually about timing. You have solar capacity during the day and most people work away from home, so there is a logical disconnect in using your solar to explicitly charge your vehicle. I use my solar to charge my vehicle...indirectly...solar fully and completely powers my home and excess goes back to the grid during the day. I charge my cars at night and essentially "withdraw my deposit" of energy as a time shift. My house and cars are fully supported by solar energy.
2,000 sq ft house (with electric kitchen and AC) and two electric vehicles powered by 10 kW solar. YMMV.