Forums

COVID-19 infection may not provide immunity, Update 5/4/20

COVID-19 infection may not provide immunity, Update 5/4/20

According to WHO, Infection may not provide immunity:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/25/us/who-immunity-antibodies-covid-19/index...

Update 5/4/20 (May the 4th be with you):
Study out of South Korea reports that those "reinfected" were false positive.
False + due to test detecting dead virus. Patients were not reinfected.

jimglas | 2020年4月25日

if this turn out to be true, then our current behavior will be the new normal, not an anomaly

andy.connor.e | 2020年4月25日

its the new flu....

i hope we can figure out a way to deal with it.

jimglas | 2020年4月25日

a very communicable and deadly flu

jimglas | 2020年4月25日

this would also suggest that finding a vaccine will be very difficut if not impossible

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月25日

@jimglas. No not necessarily. We do not know the efficacy of the natural antibodies. And antibodies reflect exposure rather than necessarily immunity. Although it may. Also there may be antibodies to SARS that could be picked up in the testing and not be efficacious.Vaccines on the other hand are likely to be targeted against viral incorporation or replication etc.

jimglas | 2020年4月25日

all true, but the information is quite concerning

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月25日

We don’t know the true reinfection rate nor the accuracy of the testing so I am not sure we can draw any conclusions yet. We knew it would never be 100% with either.

rxlawdude | 2020年4月25日

I haven't seen a study on the genetic variations in the virus. The patterns suggest subtle differences in lethality and symptomatology in different geographic regions, which MAY be caused by the virus continuing to mutate.

Those mutatations, of course, can reduce or eliminate the virus' susceptibilty to existing antibodies from prior exposure.

EVRider | 2020年4月25日

@jimglas: Your link in the OP doesn't work for me. Does it still work for you?

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月25日
rxlawdude | 2020年4月25日

@SCC, thanks. Pretty much no surprises. The key is finding the portion of the virus that doesn't mutate, making vaccine development vexing.

FISHEV | 2020年4月25日

Gets back for the need for massive testing and then isolation and tracking contacts. Trump administration has still not even begun to work on getting industry producing test kits or establishing the labs to test in volume or the 10s of thousands of additional health care workers to do the testing and tracking.

Until that is done at a national level, likely not until Trump administration is out of office in nine month, we will have to do things at the slow pace allowed for by physical distancing, face masks and treatment of the infected.

rxlawdude | 2020年4月25日

@Fish, that's if he allows the election to go forward (pretext: national emergency) and doesn't insist people crowd into polling places to do so.

And then, Bill Maher may be onto something. When he loses, he will proclaim the election "rigged." (Which begs the question of him claiming the same in 2016, when HE WON. Hmm.)

jimglas | 2020年4月25日

@EVRider: thanks! the link went bad, put in a new one, should work now

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月25日

@Rxlawdude. The British technique is interesting. They take a portion of the COVID virus which acts as an antigen. If they understand the mechanism of action they can choose the most appropriate antigenic part that will induce an antibody and neutralize some critical aspect of the virus’s function. They will then incorporate it into the tobacco plant for replication. I guess we may find a positive benefit from tobacco.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britishamericantobacco-vaccine-idUSKB...

jimglas | 2020年4月25日

" I guess we may find a positive benefit from tobacco"
=========================================
love that

FISHEV | 2020年4月25日

rxlawdude | April 25, 2020 "That's if he allows the election to go forward (pretext: national emergency) and doesn't insist people crowd into polling places to do so."

That would be quite a pivot from Open Up to Shut It Down (just for the election).

Would we have the rabid Trumper's like @derotam and @andy.connor.e in the streets demanding elections be stopped to keep Trump in office?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/that-ohio-protest-photo-l...

We do need to be taking steps now to prevent that, perhaps part of the next stimulus bill, a Congressional mandate that November Federal elections cannot be shut down by president. I don't think he has that power anyway but we don't want to wait until the last minute or depend on the unbalanced right wing Supreme Court to protect US democracy.

rxlawdude | 2020年4月25日

@FISH, he does have the power to call marshal law. He has a bad history of respecting the other branches of government, and has packed the top military and law enforcement (and SCOTUS) with his sycophants.

As I've said, I fear civil war (i.e., Trumptards* going on the rampage when he loses) far more than I fear COVID-19.

*Trumptards are a subset of conservatards. Conservatards are a subset of conservatives those who, even when shown objective facts, stubbornly cling to their ways that includes worshiping "being an asshole."
Conservatives are thoughtful, engage in dialog and understand that the concept of sides coming together in compromise is what made America great. Before it was made grate.

FISHEV | 2020年4月25日

rxlawdude | April 25, 2020 "he does have the power to call marshal law."

"Because the power to declare martial law comes from Congress, Congress controls when, where and how it may be used. It can even take the power away. One limit Congress has placed on martial law — and on the domestic deployment of the military more broadly — is the Posse Comitatus Act. This law generally bars federal troops from participating in domestic law enforcement activities, such as arrests and detentions. It is not, however, an absolute prohibition on domestic military deployment"

Orthopod | 2020年4月26日

There are multiple reports of people getting infected, then healed and tested negative, got infected again and tested positive again.

So I guess this could be right.

rxlawdude | 2020年4月26日

You don't need the military to declare martial law, and as you note, PCA is NOT a blanket prohibition.

For a lengthy but fascinating read on Posse Comitatus Act effects, see https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42659.pdf

rxlawdude | 2020年4月26日

Er, military->Congress

Ross1 | 2020年4月27日

No immunity = the race is stuffed.

Ross1 | 2020年4月27日

race=humanity

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月27日

Nobody said no immunity. How much is not known. But it is likely not 100%. But it is still likely a significant percent that become immune

jimglas | 2020年5月4日

update bump

Ross1 | 2020年5月6日

test, keep losing post to explain

Ross1 | 2020年5月6日

The link says that this international, fit yachtie got it twice

Ross1 | 2020年5月6日

And 200 from S Korea have got it twice

jimglas | 2020年5月6日

I created a spam magnet

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年5月6日
jimglas | 2020年5月6日

i want one

SCCRENDO | 2020年5月6日

@jimglas. You did.

Orthopod | 2020年5月8日

that’s good actually, humans lost every predators of the natural world.

A virus with no immunity and no vaccine is the best this that could happened to the planet to control the human uncontrolled infestation

Ross1 | 2020年5月9日

It could be Satanic

WW_spb | 2020年5月9日

"Orthopod | May 8, 2020

A virus with no immunity and no vaccine is the best this that could happened to the planet to control the human uncontrolled infestation"
So you cheering for people to die? Fake doc at it again.

FISHEV | 2020年5月9日

@Orthopod | May 8, 2020 A virus with no immunity and no vaccine is the best this that could happened to the planet to control the human uncontrolled infestation.

Covid-19 as the Earth's anti-bodies to the human virus and global warming as the fever to kill the human virus off with heat. Nature imitating nature.

I forget how the virus in "SEE" comes about, naturally or man made, same effect. The human virus is greatly reduced and can no longer harm the biosphere.

Orthopod | 2020年5月9日

“GoodRussian | May 9, 2020
"Orthopod | May 8, 2020

A virus with no immunity and no vaccine is the best this that could happened to the planet to control the human uncontrolled infestation"
So you cheering for people to die? Fake doc at it again.”

I’m not cheering for people to die. Stop being anthropocentric. The human race is not in the center of the universe.

Your American way of living and our Canadian way of consuming are using ressources faster than the planet can handle it. How many have you seen before the pandemic who were ready to lower their life standards to prevent depleting the planet ressources?

Don’t put words in my mouth like you have your mouth full with Magic 8 Balls