Forums

Tesla Model name acronym for those who missed it

Tesla Model name acronym for those who missed it

I knew the first half, but didn't realize the new part until recently. Nerdy, but cool...

S3XY CARS is Model S, 3, X, Y and then Cybertruck, ATV, Roadster II, and Semi

They have done SEXY, now we just need all the CARS.

M3phan | 2020年5月20日

Yep, that acronym was on one of the opening slides in Andrew Karpathy’s AI presentation earlier this year.

Orthopod | 2020年5月20日

Can’t believe Ford threatened to sue for the name Model E and then they name their Mustang Mach-E

Seriously wtf ford?

At least call it Mustang Model E

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 2020年5月20日

"Can’t believe Ford threatened to sue for the name Model E "

I'd never heard that story before you mentioned it.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20140609/OEM02/306099974/why-ford-just-...

"Ford never built a vehicle with the Model E name, but it has sued to keep other automakers from using it, saying that Model E sounds too much like Model T."

Really? Is there a chance that people will be substantially confused because back in 1926 (at the latest) Ford made a car which in the English language rhymes with "Model E"?

M3phan | 2020年5月20日

If the arrogance of Ford C level leadership and their business decisions reflected in the film Ford v Ferrari is even remotely true, I’m not surprised.

I'm surprised they won those claims, though. In this one Tesla backed down, but the risk a buyer thinking a Model 3(E) is made by Ford is.... pretty slim.

Orthopod | 2020年5月20日

Tesla should sue Ford for using Model T back in the time

That’s for Tesla Electric Trailer

jordanrichard | 2020年5月20日

While yes the current line up spells S3XY, the yet to come vehicles may spell “CARS” but none of them are cars.

M3phan | 2020年5月20日

They are according to the Oxford Dictionary:
“Car: a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine (switch that for electric motor in our case) and able to carry a small number of people.“
The remaining line up qualify. ; )

An ATV isn’t a car, but the R certainly is.