Forums

"Paying for your Tesla" email to delivery date?

"Paying for your Tesla" email to delivery date?

Received email from Tesla with subject "Paying for your Tesla" with final payment due. Does that mean the delivery is approaching, as in couple of weeks? There is no update on delivery date from DES, except the standard "few weeks" a couple of weeks ago. Is it better to pay now, or wait till delivery is scheduled and make the payment at time of delivery?

mike_f | 2016年3月14日

WAIT! Too many potential issues and once you hand over the $$$, your leverage is gone.

koivan | 2016年3月14日

I would pay on the date of the delivery and ask your DS if you can inspect the car a few days before the delivery in case you find anything that need to be corrected.

mike_f | 2016年3月14日

koivan: depends where the delivery is occurring. If at Factory, pre-delivery inspection will never happen. If at SC, then can head over and check the car if its on the lot (as I did over the weekend at SC with MXs on the lot when I was having a tire replaced). In any case, do not hand over the $$$ before having inspected or at least see that the car is actually present. Some have paid only to be waiting weeks for delivery.

jordanrichard | 2016年3月14日

An email title " Paying for your Tesla", doesn't mean pay right now. It is meant to give you a heads up about the options/methods to make final payment. I am in CT and since Tesla doesn't have a license to sell here, payment needed to be wired to Tesla corporate, the day prior. This way, upon delivery, since no monies were exchanged, no "sale" took place in CT.... :-)

I would agree that is a sign that the actual delivery is due to take place within a couple of weeks.

ken | 2016年3月15日

@redxproca , Jordan is right. I got my notice a month ago. My delivery is tomorrow. I sent the final payment on Saturday for a Wednesday delivery. Delivery in UT another state where money can't exchange hands at the SC. No need to pay before the SC has the car and done their final inspection. If you are in a state where they can sell, you can even take the final payment in the day you pick up the car.

MyXinTx | 2016年3月15日

Is there a chance to evaluate the car in Fremont prior to being shipped to another state? If so, I would definitely make the trip and hold off until I could actually drive the vehicle.

Nobody has mentioned this before, but this thread does inspire that plan.

SJVCommish | 2016年3月15日

My DS told me that I can bring a check with me on the day of delivery here in Florida. He also told me that they will accept a personal check. It does not have to be certified or a bank check.

redxproca | 2016年3月15日

Thanks for all the replies. I'll wait and pay by check on the pickup day. I live in Northern CA (picking up the vehicle in Fremont).

@ken Congrats! Hope all goes well, and you enjoy your X.

@ WaitN4myX It would indeed be helpful if we could inspect the vehicle prior to delivery. I will check on that with my DS whenever he calls me re: delivery, but I suspect others on this forum might already know the answer to that one.

Roamer@AZ USA | 2016年3月15日

Just received car number five today. I have never needed payment leverage to solve any problem with Tesla. Three years and five cars and have never needed to argue once to get anything fixed. Your not doing business with a car dealer that is out to nickel and dime you to death.

Only issue I have had was paying for our last X in December then having it get caught in the quality rework program for three months. The car that delivered today was wonderful. Zero issues.

I can't fault Tesla for sending the pay email then right at that moment production deliveries stopped and a rework started. As frustrating as it was I don't think there was anything nefarious going on. Just a need to make some upgrades and I got fought just as it happened.

On my four other buys over three years I wired money a few days ahead and the car delivered. Have never ever felt the need to hold funds and fight to get what I ordered.

Roamer@AZ USA | 2016年3月15日

For what it's worth change auto correct to "you are"

Darryl | 2016年3月15日

There is absolutely no advantage of paying for your Model X ahead of time. You can just bring a regular check (non-cashier's check) with you and pay after you inspect the car and are ready to take delivery. We already know several people have paid for a car and not seen the car for several months later.

In my case when I walked in to take delivery the first thing they wanted to do was for me sign the paperwork and make payment. I said I want to inspect the car first. It is a good thing I did as there was a problem with the car and it was weeks before they were able to fix the problem and deliver the car. There was a cracked charger port which could have prevented charging. This was a know problem. Paying them early doesn't get you the car early it just means they have your money earlier.

Brian Vicars | 2016年3月16日

The advantage of paying ahead of time is that you don't have to worry about paying income tax on the money in the future. Out of site out of mind. It also makes the delivery experience more pleasurable.

mike_f | 2016年3月16日

Darryl: absolutely no advantage of paying for your Model X ahead of time. You can just bring a regular check (non-cashier's check) with you and pay after you inspect the car and are ready to take delivery.

Unlike previous deliveries, NO PERSONAL checks. Surprised me but be on the safe side and bring cashiers check

"For all final payments made at delivery, please bring a cashier’s check made out to “Tesla Motors, Inc.”. We do not accept credit cards or personal checks. You may also pay via wire transfer or ACH."

sp_tesla | 2016年3月16日

mferrazano | March 16, 2016

ACH?

tonyx | 2016年3月16日

Personal checks are accepted at Seattle Tesla. I would recommend confirming with TM if your DS is rejecting this form of payment...

mike_f | 2016年3月16日

sp_tesla : The message came from TM not my DS. Why take chances? How many times has conflicting information been disbursed.

eric.zucker | 2016年3月16日

@WaitN4myX: there have been cars damaged in transit... Inspecting the car in Fremont doesn't guarantee anything.

av8rbud | 2016年3月16日

ACH is very common, it means Automatic Clearing House transaction. It is not unlike sending a payment from your on-line banking account to any vendor. The payment will go to Tesla Motors Inc. and the DS will be notified to release the car for delivery. Unlike a wire transfer there is no fee. Happens overnight after Tesla supplies routing number..

I will have no problem sending the money before I get to inspect the car. They will fix it. It would be devastating for TM to have a law suit because the would not deliver a 'finished acceptable product'. I trust them enough for me not be defensive about a delivery. I will be trusting them with my life by driving their wonderful car; that is by the way, safer than the safety scale can go. Leverage indeed. Who knows, you might even get your car a couple days earlier that way.

redxproca | 2016年3月16日

Received another email today "Prepare for Your Upcoming Model X Delivery" - no dates or any contact from DS. Just "Your Model X is almost ready for pick up!".

It does say in the email "For all final payments made at delivery (if applicable in your state), please bring a cashier's check or personal check made out to Tesla Motors, Inc. We do not accept credit cards or cash."

av8rbud | 2016年3月16日

Apparently delivery centers have different procedures for payment. Mine will be coming up next week I hope.

Gary an Rachel | 2016年3月16日

Redxproca, you typed you received another email. The paying for your tesla email has not been sent to me yet but I did just receive the Prepare for your upcoming delivery. When I look at My Tesla page I have no new info from the last 7 weeks. No delivery date , nothing. So I'm going to just wait. The DM has said that I will get a phone call letting me know what my delivery date will be and will give me at least three weeks to close financing and insurance. So to not drive myself crazy with guessing I will take one for the team here and just see how it goes. I will bet that the car will not just sit at the factory waiting for me then to gather all the correct papers. I'm sure the DM would get in Dutch for not getting me and the car ready for the same day. I'll report back on any new info I get. Say a small prayer for us that they dont sell off my car for not responding. LOL.

mike_f | 2016年3月16日

I confirmed that in spite of the email received to the contrary, Fremont will accept personal checks only if you are financing the bulk of the purchase. Apparently they are OK with a personal check covering 20% down payment and taxes only because I financed the 80%.

elguapo | 2016年3月16日

They do accept personal checks. It just depends on the state. In MD, they accept personal checks.

mike_f | 2016年3月16日

it it bounces they know where to find you....

SJVCommish | 2016年3月16日

If it bounces they shut down he car!

SJVCommish | 2016年3月16日

typo "the" car

redxproca | 2016年3月19日

Received call from DS yesterday for pickup @ Fremont on Wednesday. "Paying your tesla" email ----2days----> "Prepare for your delivery" email ----2days----> call for pickup scheduling ---4days----> Pickup day!

The deliveries have picked up...