Forums

Will/is the display 15" OLED?

Will/is the display 15" OLED?

Was reported today that LG will be suppling the 15" display. We know LG is building a $8.7B OLED plant in part (rumor) to supply future iPhone displays. Does anyone know if it was determined to be an LCD or OLED display?

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月4日

Obviously no one knows the answer to this yeti so......

Are the headlights LED, HID or laser?

TeslaTap.com | 2016年4月5日

I'd say very unlikely the display will be OLED. Cost is still about double LCD and it's biggest benefit - great blacks, is best for watching movies and does little for an in-car display.

Headlights appear to be LED. I suspect laser headlights are still quite a bit more expensive, so doubtful they would be in the Model 3.

Keep in mind they are trying to achieve a great price point. Adding esoteric technology adds costs and huge risks Tesla is unlikely to take on the Model 3.

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月5日

LG is looking in to making OLED for car displays and this is a large part of their 9B plant plans. Could be that LG might subsidize the OLED for the same price as an LED to help jump start and popularize. [speculation]Just seems a little suspect that the OEM supplier would 'leak' this early in the game on such a high profile car. It is like LG wanted the info out there.[/speculation]

Even now I don't think we know who the OEM is for the S/X LCDs (InnoLux or Samsung panels???).

cephellow | 2016年4月5日

@TT, the price of OLEds is twice LCDs, not the cost. The OLED structure itself is far more economical than the LCD due to not having to provide a structured light source behind the display substrate, resulting in far fewer components. The only reason they are priced higher is that there was a lot of capital spent on creating LCD display production, and they are making sure they maximize profit before fully rolling out the OLEDs. OLEds may have advantages in automotive displays because the high contrast ratios work better in daylight. Their flexibility will give designers more freedom on where to put them. Who knows, maybe Tesla is going to make the entire dash strip an OLED. I'd prefer they keep the car super simple so they have no problems in production.

cpmarino | 2016年4月5日

More importantly, if this screen is going to report ALL vehicle information, including safety ltems such as speed, idiot lights, etc., it has to be completely bulletproof. I may be wrong, but I do believe that as part of Audi's new virtual cockpit, which in the R8 and TT is the ONLY screen, there is a separate housing to display vehicle speed in an emergency should the main screen fail.

SUN 2 DRV | 2016年4月5日

Cephello +1 "OLEds may have advantages in automotive displays because the high contrast ratios work better in daylight."

And the darker black would be much better at night whereas the current LED screens still bleed a lot of light and have a light grey background instead of the intended black.

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月5日

Another advantage of OLEDs is free blacks. While it may not amount to much we are talking for an EV and every watt counts. Also the prototype's UI did show a lot of blacks.

Captain_Zap | 2016年4月5日

Here is some information/speculation about the displays:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/04/05/a-big-contract-for-lg-d...?

dsvick | 2016年4月5日

@cpmarino ...it has to be completely bulletproof.

Hey, now, I'm not sure where you live but I'm not worried about people shooting at me. If they just make resistant to soccer balls and dog slobber I'll be happy. :)

TeslaTap.com | 2016年4月5日

I really like OLED displays, but it really doesn't make sense for the Model 3 both in cost and technically. In daylight, OLEDs are about 1/2 the brightness, if not less. While the black level is fantastic on OLEDs, it really isn't that important in an automotive application. The current LCDs Tesla uses work great both in daylight and nighttime. One advantage is OLEDs typically have a wider temperature range over LCDs. Not enough to pay a premium, but it is an advantage.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年4月5日

Oops - should have said price, not cost. No idea what the production costs are, but displays so far are priced 2x to 4x over high-quality LCDs, OLEDs are perhaps priced 10x over cheap LCDs, but cheap LCDs would not work in an automotive application.

Frank99 | 2016年4月5日

I'd far prefer that Tesla provide a mount for a 12" tablet, connect to the car via Bluetooth, and provide all their UI as an app.

I'd love the choice between an iPad 12.9, a 12" Android, or a Surface Pro, with all the apps and configurability that implies, and the ability to upgrade in a few years. If I prefer Trimble for my map solution, I want to run that; if RocketBoy1172 has a cool performance display app for my Tesla, I want to be able to run that.

Why do the car makers believe that they are the world's foremost authority on what I want to do with the display in my car?

Yes, it makes a difference to me, because I tend to hold onto vehicles for a long time - and using the DVD based navigation system in my 10 year old Expedition (which is extraordinarily painful to someone used to Google Maps) reminds me how quickly the technology changes.