Forums

I've totally changed my opinion on the front end

I've totally changed my opinion on the front end

When the Model 3 was revealed, my only disappointment was the look of the front end. I even Tweeted Elon Musk that he needed to add a grille or some form of definition. However, a week later, after viewing all of the pictures - and importantly the video of the car "in the wild" - I love it. I know Elon has said that it will change slightly but now I really hope it stays basically the same. Has anyone else changed their opinion of the front end?

My only caveat is that I haven't seen it with a number plate on it yet.

BG121 | 2016年4月9日

So did you send him another tweet and tell him you were wrong and to not add the grille?

alnrench2 | 2016年4月9日

Here in Florida we won't have to see it with a front plate ........ It will retain its clean look, and no added drag.

MarlonBrown | 2016年4月9日

Send a tweet to let him know please. I think the front looks authentic and very nice. I saw the video you are talking about and lokks was fantastic. Man this car will be the one. Right size for me.

Madatgascar | 2016年4月9日

The reveal showed the cars from a very unusual angle, looking up from below from the crowd's point of view to the stage. At this angle, the reverse slope under the nose is really accentuated, and the cars look like they are turning their noses up. When viewed looking down from any angle, the way we normally look at cars, it is stunning.

While I would be happy even if they didn't make any changes, I'll bet Franz is going through lots of nose studies and will make it even better for production.

Tropopause | 2016年4月9日

chris,

I like it more now too. I hope Franz' tweaking will only improve upon it, not make it boring.

Chunky Jr. | 2016年4月9日

I wouldn't be surprised if Model S nose becomes more like the 3. There are probably some aerodynamic benefits, but at time of Model S, the market wasn't ready for such a departure from traditional front ends.

Spacebird | 2016年4月9日

I still think it could use some decoration. A T-strip like the X works well.

Sparky | 2016年4月9日

Whatever they do with it, the lowest C/D is key. Form follows function. And other jurisdictions ought to follow Florida's lead and do away with the front plate. Do Floridians have any negative impact from no front plate law?

phition42 | 2016年4月9日

The model X nose is already very similar to the 3

Sparky | 2016年4月9日

Yes, but I like the 3 better. Simple, Porsche-like, and slippery-cool!

trickykill | 2016年4月9日

I haven't changed my opinion at all. I hope it stays as close to the reveal as possible!

Solarwind | 2016年4月9日

I'm not impressed with it, Just to plain, I think that is a easy fix, just put the T emblem on it, would be gorgeous.

kseehafer | 2016年4月9日

My only complaint is that the logo needs to be larger. Much larger. In your face larger. I could barely see it.

vshrider | 2016年4月9日

I like the front the way it is. However, I would welcome the added logo to it.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年4月9日

chris: It seems your opinion mirrors mine. At first glance, the front end was all Porsche to me. Now I realize it is simply the proper evolution... of Tesla.

ciastek | 2016年4月10日

Same here, except it took me 3 days to fall in love with revealed one. :)

Remnant | 2016年4月11日

@ Solarwind (April 9, 2016)

<< ... just put the T emblem on it, would be gorgeous. >>

Good idea, a large medallion logo, similar to the one on the Sport Daimler models.

Ross1 | 2016年4月11日

Optional extra: costs more.
Do you still want it prettied up?

Ross1 | 2016年4月11日

Do you know what a grille costs?
I don't, but let's say it is $50 + $10 to fit it and another $5 for cleaning predelivery.
And $500,000 tooling.
Multiply that by a million cars = 65,500,000.
Just round figures.
But its a lot of money because some punter on a forum wants everyone to have one when Tesla is in cost saving mode, trying to produce a base car for $35,000 and also wants to turn a profit (so Elon can get on with the Mars project, Hyperloop, Model Y, MS update, couple of nightclubs, and what else? Oh yes, marriage bust and twins and triplets.direct sales, more superchargers, Solar City, SpaceX, International Space Station Delivery, Model 3 rampup, Model X rampup, Falcon doors, run out of rivets, spare parts issues, bad press, I probably missed the half of it, and you want a grille so it looks like an ICE.
Why not stick a horse head on it for good measure?
ROFL. He could send 2 rockets up for that amount. Or pay me a dividend.

henry | 2016年4月11日

Looks like Model S will get updated design to be more like Model X and 3...

www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/updated-tesla-model-s-with-more-features-high...

Sparky | 2016年4月11日

If a "T" logo appears at all I hope it is set in to the hood conformally and not on the front where it can disturb airflow. A holographic logo in the hood which doesn't disturb the airflow at all would be really cool.

Octagondd | 2016年4月11日

I agree. My view of it has changed as well. It has grown on me and I think it distinguishes the car from others on the market. I hope it doesn't change much.

tonylugo0905 | 2016年4月11日

Would be a retrofit available for present Tesla owners I wonder ?

itsnice2be | 2016年4月11日

My opinion has changed also. At first, I wasn't sure that I liked the front end, now I definitely do like it. It's nice to have a fresh approach to the front end styling.

tonylugo0905 | 2016年4月11日

Sorry. Would there be a retrofit available for present Tesla owners ?

carlk | 2016年4月11日

Your experience perfectly illustrates the fact that human brains are trained to only accept things they are familiar with. What looks good usually is what has been accepted as a good looking design. The opposite can usually be true too. Elon and Franz must have looked at the new 3 front hundreds of time everyday. We owe it to ourselves to give it a little more time before making the judgement. The unconventionla X front has went through the same process too. Now most people thought it looks better than the S front.

slr_pwrd | 2016年4月26日

Initially, I viewed as a need to improve. Now, I am liking it a lot. It is a minimalist look.

dachuyn | 2016年4月26日

The front bumper looks modern; the rear one looks boring. Hope they will be both widened and lowered...

topher | 2016年4月26日

We need to get used to the idea that aerodynamics doesn't know about car brand. We all benefit from all cars being more aerodynamic. So, all cars are going to look more and more alike. Branding will need to come from something other than gross shape.

Thank you kindly.

diegoPasadena | 2016年4月26日

@ topher
Yes, that's probably right to a certain extent, but even with physics being what they are, manufacturers must still find solutions that account for the fact that a car can't be entirely rain drop shaped - being that it has wheels and all. And there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Look at the Formula 1 designs. They're not beholden to any brand look, and they all try different approaches. They do wind up similar in a rough sense, but they're still quite distinctive. Granted, they chase several goals at once - low drag coefficient, but massive downforce - but I think the same will happen in car design. There will be enough leeway to retain a brand look.

Tropopause | 2016年4月26日

I watched that Moter Trend shoot at the Gigafactory. Now I can not stop drooling over this Model 3. I love the front style more than ever.

It was never the car! It was us, that were off!

skirtsanis | 2016年4月26日

Loved it from day one I hope they don't add a grill it's pointless

Watt fun | 2016年4月27日

You know, way back when the Chevy Corvair first came out back for the 1960 model year, there WAS an optional extra which was a chrome grill you could bolt on in between the headlights, because people were taken about--they EXPECTED a real North American car would have a radiator up front behind a grill. Never mind that the engine was in the rear and air-cooled to boot. Very rare NOS find today for Corvairoholics. Going back even further, Franklin was air cooled as well, but their sales were poor until they added a totally fake radiator grill shell to the front of the car, 'like all the other cars'

So stick with the design, people. The Model 3 doesn't need a radiator, faux or otherwise. Neither did the S but that was a step too far at the time. The X and the S-refresh is going in the right direction.

topher | 2016年4月27日

@diego
Formula 1 have terrible drag coefficients (0.7 to 1.1) and are built to an exacting set of rules. Cars have a much simpler set of rules and design goals but a much broader range of uses.

But Elon says their goal is 0.21 Cd, that puts in the top 5 of production cars ever. And he says that they are working on optimizations entailing changes of 0.1mm. The Chevy Bolt has a drag coefficient of 0.312 (according to C&D), that means that its power requirements at speed are 32% higher. That's about 65 miles of range. Which might mean a lighter battery pack, which means better city mileage. Aerodynamics is that important.

Fortunately for me, my aesthetic sense matches pretty closely with aerodynamics; slippery cars look awesome (to me).

Thank you kindly.

bcld | 2016年4月27日

I love the M3 front end!!! K.I.S.S. and built it. For us in CA, where they require front license plates, I believe the car will come with a custom backing that will keep the plate flat. So...

Love the front end, two thumbs up!