Forums

Tesla conspicuously missing from new Self-Driving Coalition

Tesla conspicuously missing from new Self-Driving Coalition

Google, Ford, Lyft, Volvo, and Uber are coming together to form the Self-Driving Coalition - http://www.computerworld.com/article/3061874/car-tech/google-carmakers-j...

I find it very strange that Tesla is missing in this list. Given that they are are a pioneer in this space, I would've guessed that Tesla would've wanted to be part of this coalition. The coalition would've certainly benefited from Tesla being a member. I wonder if Google/Ford/Volvo are trying to codify a standard that's different from Tesla's existing autopilot technology - in an attempt to undermine it??

lolachampcar | 2016年4月26日

Tesla's is based on the most advanced hardware (MobilEye) so likely not "ban-able".

TeslaTap.com | 2016年4月26日

Makes sense to me. Tesla has already figured it out and has most of it in production. The others are still in 'research' mode, so I don't see what Tesla has to gain or even learn from them.

MaverickR | 2016年4月26日

I think the effort is to standardize how autonomous cars will talk to each other and potentially other government provided traffic related infrastructure. I would certainly think that Tesla has a lot to gain from it.

archvillain | 2016年4月26日

The article describes it as a lobbying group whose purpose is to unify legal requirements as it relates to autonomous cars, rather than leave manufacturers to the mercy of an ever-shifting patchwork of conflicting local laws.

If so, then Tesla absolutely needs that as much as anyone else.
It may be that Tesla will be joining, or is already fighting the same fight in different ways, or it may be that the devil is in the details and there's something we don't know.

carlk | 2016年4月26日

Yet the article has to show picture of the Tesla AP screen. What does that tell you?

Tropopause | 2016年4月26日

Good eye, carlk! Good eye!!!

RedShift | 2016年4月26日

Tesla is ahead of others in AP, much like it is in charging infrastructure and range. Others need to learn from it and join in.

These alliances and joint efforts arent worth much unless they can produce real results. We will wait and see about that.

dsvick | 2016年4月27日

I think Tesla would definitely benefit from being involved!

They may be ahead of the others in AP, but AP is not self driving. For full self driving vehicles I'd say Google has the most experience as far as miles driven and time and effort spent testing. Yes, Tesla has quite a bit of real use, in real cars, driven (or "not driven" in this case) by real people.

Right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Tesla AP features only work above 18 mph, are mainly for lane keeping/changing on the highway, accident avoidance, and maintaining speed. While the Google vehicles will actually take you from point to point, navigating through the city, stopping at lights and intersections, and swing through the drive through for lunch after taking you to drop off the kids at school. I'm not sure the Tesla system is up to that yet.

Not that the different companies are going to collaborate on technology, but any standardization of the "rules" would benefit everyone involved. Hopefully Tesla will get, if they aren't already, in this. After all, the article did spend several paragraphs talking about them!

PhillyGal | 2016年4月27日

@dsvick - You're correct from what I understand.

The way I see it, Tesla and Goog (for sake of comparison) are taking a different path to the same outcome.

Tesla is developing the technology by rolling out small pieces as they are both technically ready and le gally allowable. They are tested using real cars and real roads all across the world. (Which gives them valuable data to enhance the tech nologies.) Goog is developing the technology by developing test cars to a further point of autonomy and testing locally with cars consumers aren't all0wed to buy.

They'll both get to the same place presumably, and maybe even around the same time.

How do you copy/paste using a Wind0ws computer? I can think of three ways :)

PhillyGal | 2016年4月27日

(Excuse the random zeroes and spaces... Darn spam blocker.)

SV Az | 2016年4月27日

I am wondering if its about the technology, all Other Car makers are using LIDAR, whereas Tesla is using Camera + Sonar + Software to detect objects. Elon Chose not to go for LIDAR as at that point, each LIDAR was 80 K USD.

LIDAR sees everything. IF the coalition is lobbying to standardize tech used than they would keep Tesla out..

Haggy | 2016年4月27日

Tesla's stated goal is full autonomy. It's a matter of when. Tesla's cars don't have modules that talk to other cars. It's likely that those would become part of a standard, so if you want to change lanes, other cars know enough to let you in.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年4月27日

I'm not sure anyone is using LIDAR in a commercial product yet - mostly LIDAR is in research mode right now. There are new solid-state LIDARs at under $300 each, but the car may need multiple units. They also have problems in fog, snow and heavy rain and can get confused with exhaust from other cars. Still LIDAR may be the way to go someday or in combination with cameras (which have their own issues). Perhaps a larger issue is how complex the software is to interpret the data and the processing power needed. Seems like Google is the furthest along in this respect.

Bubba2000 | 2016年4月27日

If Tesla sticks with Mobileye, they may end up using 8 cameras for 360 deg coverage, that is their new system. Still, the vehicles would need radar for all weather coverage including ACC, fog, snow, rain, etc. Tesla has been using NVidea processors. It has also hire a few chip designers from Apple/PA Semi, AMD. May be tesla wants to design their own hardware, semis, along with software. Use ultrasound for short range.

Meanwhile, the current Tesla AP works great in the highways.