Forums

Wall Connector Disconnect Switch

Wall Connector Disconnect Switch

I've received two quotes for a Tesla Wall Connector installation in my attached garage. Both are relatively close with the exception of the work required/cost of a disconnect switch. The first electrician says it's required by code (and has included the cost) while the second says it isn't required. Both electricians have installed numerous Wall Connectors previously and both were found on Tesla's website so I don't doubt their experience. Anyone have any experience? I'm located in Chicago so it wouldn't surprise me if it were required given the restrictive codes but the conflicting information is frustrating. Any help? Thanks.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年5月16日

Every city has codes usually based on the NEC (which changes every few years) and then local exceptions to the code. Most cities are also 2-8 years behind the current NEC codes adding to the confusion. It makes it a pain to give advice on another location. I believe in most (all?) locations a cutoff switch is not required if the garage is enclosed.

The confusion may be that outdoor HVAC equipment must have a cutoff switch according to the 2005 code I happen to look at. An EV charger should not fall into this category.

I'd call your local city permits department and ask them. They are the ones doing the inspection and often are nice enough to answer questions like this.

MJP.75D | 2016年5月16日

Thanks @TeslaTap. I did call and received a very non-committal answer. Might be worth a trip to talk in person. Thanks again.

Rocky_H | 2016年5月17日

@michael.platt, I have heard of this disconnect requirement. It is usually required if the circuit is above a certain amount of amps. Some of the question of opinion comes from whether the breaker itself can be considered to BE the cutoff switch. This interpretation somewhat depends on the distance the breaker is from the device and the inspector's opinion.

Johnn_hardy | 2016年5月17日

If a piece of equipment is hardwired the only way to work on it is to throw the breaker. If the equipment is not in the line of sight of the breaker box a disconnect switch (that IS within the line of sight) is required, for safety. So, if your HPWC is in the garage, within the line of sight on the breaker box, no disconnect should be required. That said, the only way to be absolutely sure would be to call the local authority and ask. I would assume that a permit will be pulled and the installation inspected, which tells me that you really do not need to worry about this. The inspector will ensure that it is done properly. Ergo, if the two quotes are the same, You can decide whether or not you want the disconnect switch (not required for safety, but does not hurt anything).

PV_Dave @US-PA | 2016年5月17日

We have two HPWC in our garage, each on a 100A breaker. One pulls off a subpanel next to the HPWC (5 feet, same wall), and thus needs no disconnect. The other pulls from our main panel in the basement, and we thought it prudent to install a disconnect on it regardless of whether it was actually required by code or not.

milesbb | 2016年5月17日

2011 NEC 625.23 Disconnecting Means. This article requires a lockable disconnect in a readily accessible location if the equipment is rated greater then 60 amps. Locking your feeder breaker would not satisfy this requirement unless a permanent locking device was added to your panel. I do not believe such a device is available for common home panels.

readily accessible location = Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

If your installing a 60 amp or less circuit you do not need a disconnect. If your Electrician can find a permanent locking device for your distribution panel you do not need it. Portable means for adding a lock to the switch or circuit breaker shall not be permitted.

As noted by TeslaTap your city/state may be using an older or newer version of the code. These requirements were modified between the 2005 and 2008 code, they eliminated use of the portable locking device.

MJP.75D | 2016年5月18日

Thanks @Johnn @Dave @miles for the insights. I have a third installer coming on 5/20 for yet another opinion and will then reach out to my local building department. My Wall Connector will pull from the Main Panel which, while not in the garage, is located just inside the house (attached garage) such that with the garage door open both the Wall Connector and Main Panel can be seen simultaneously. In my circumstance, the first installer stated that this wasn't sufficient (lockable door between Wall Connector and Panel) while the second was confident the inspector would allow it without the need for a disconnect. We'll see what the third recommends.... Thanks again.

MJP.75D | 2016年5月20日

The jury is back: disconnect switch required. Thanks to all who weighed in on the issue.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年5月20日

Glad you spent the time and effort to do it right for your specific situation!

MV | 2017年4月26日

Can the disconnect be placed above HPWC instead on the side so it takes less horizontal space on the garage wall. I am thinking HPWC at 4.5 ft and Disconnect above it. Thanks in advance.

Rocky_H | 2017年4月26日

Yes, I am pretty sure that is allowed. The wording in the code refers to it being within sight of the device, and I don't remember if it's said or understood that it has to be reachable, so you can't put it on the ceiling, where you can't get to it.

Outcome | 2017年8月27日

My main panel is outside and is lockable... So my electrician did this: installed a non-lockable subpanel inside my garage with a 60 amp breaker. The wall connector is going right beside the subpanel without any disconnect.

Is the fact that the subpanel is not lockable a problem?

milesbb | 2017年9月1日

@Outcome
As I stated above If you are installing a 60 amp or less circuit breaker you do not need a lockable disconnect. My interpretation based on NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code 2014. Very unlikely your local inspection will have adopted the new 2017 National Electrical Code. I have not seen the 2017 code so I do not know if this has changed.

@MV
center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 6 ft 7 in. If you meet this requirement you should be ok. (NFPA70 240.24(A))