Forums

HUD for 3?

HUD for 3?

Rumour of HUD for the model 3 ... here's some speculation: http://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/19/large-hud-looks-likely-tesla-model-3/

sp_tesla | 2016年5月19日

Supercool

Drdpharris | 2016年5月19日

Wow, the linked article in the link above is great reading. http://seekingalpha DOT com/article/3975416-tesla-model-3-wins-innovative-simplicity

afestini | 2016年5月19日

Definitely sounds cool, especially if (as suggested by the article) it really would be:
-easier to make
-cheaper to make
-more reliable
-less suffering from bright sunlight

I don't think they would go with anything tricky and expensive that adds little benefit, just for the coolness factor. That kind of thing is more appropriate for the fancy models. So, if the above is true, it would basically be a superior solution all around. As long as the construction won't get serious alignment issues after the first few potholes, I'd say "yes, please".

Drdpharris | 2016年5月20日

I hope that the HUD displays what the autopilot is analyzing, like what is shown in the Mobileye demo: http://m.youtube DOT com/watch?v=HXpiyLUEOOY

adias.angel | 2016年5月20日

Seems Texas Instruments has already create an automotive chipset for DLP HUDS. Watch the video at the bottom:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/203627-new-ti-dlp-could-put-bigger-br...

Nelson | 2016年5月20日

I created an interactive mock-up of what I think the HUD co ui of be like. also, what if things were more voice controlled?

http://teslamodel3.webflow.io/

Sparky | 2016年5月20日

Great technology, especially if they can dispense with a projection screen in front of the windscreen, but an auto brightness adjustment with a quick manual override will be essential.

mos6507 | 2016年5月20日

I don't think that flat shelf-like dash will ship. The vents seem totally inadequate, and how do you adjust the airflow with those narrow slits?

topher | 2016年5月21日

@mos

Same way you adjust everything else. From the center console.

Thank you kindly.

mos6507 | 2016年5月21日

I'm talking about the direction of the airflow, not the fan speed. I didn't see any vents let alone little tabs that could be used to adjust the angle of the air coming out of them.

Drdpharris | 2016年5月21日

Where you looking? On the test ride videos?

topher | 2016年5月21日

Little tabs are so 20th century...

Thank you kindly.

mos6507 | 2016年5月21日

There's no really good view of the dash. It's blacked out where the vent openings should be, but it looks extremely narrow there, maybe less than an inch tall, almost like there aren't even any vents in those prototypes. I have a mazda 3 and it has circular vents with a central adjustable vane in them that you can rotate all around on the left and right. It's very nice. But even the Model S vents are taller than the dash slot in the 3, and they look like they sit higher up too, so easier to point the AC at your head. So I've got to assume the dashboard for the 3 simply isn't final.

Bubba2000 | 2016年5月21日

After the extremes with Model X design, I would prefer a conventional dash display, even a simple LCD display. Normal vents. No glove compartment is ok. Conventional steering and controls.

jimmyjthetoolman | 2016年5月22日

I think HUD will be necessary for safety and convenience . I took a S test drive and I think I only looked at the dash display when I looked at speed, cruise and autopilot. We don't need allot of information up front. We also have a 15" screen with information also. I think it should be customizable like the S and only put up info the driver wants like for myself Speed,cruise and steering on/off Battery condition . The 15" display will have all the other info a driver needs.

Drdpharris | 2016年5月22日

@jimmyjthetoolman -- I think overlaid information from the AP will be shown, including items of interest (cars, trucks, bikes, street, road markings, signs), and navigation aides (lane changes, turns), in addition to speed, posted speed, range, etc.

Sparky | 2016年5月22日

I hope they include a symbology declutter mode.

topher | 2016年5月22日

Tesla said somewhere that they have developed a new system for vents. Whatever it is, I suspect that we are seeing (at least a mock-up of) that system in the prototypes. All I want of my vent system is that it works, and cleans the windshield of ice quickly.

Thank you kindly.

mos6507 | 2016年5月22日

There's no way to develop a "new system" for vents. Air flows, and if you want to change the direction of the air flow, you need some physical guides, louvers, or something, to do it. It's like developing a new system for a garden hose attachment. You want to change the water flow, you change the shape of the nozzle. If you try to make the air go through a narrow slit then it will just come out straight. You won't be able to point it upwards or down. And having a flap you can close (like on my Mazda) is really useful because when I'm driving alone I can close the flap on the passenger side which increases the airflow on the driver's side. It's low-fi and it cheap and it works. If Tesla is fiddling around with this then it falls into a solution in search of a problem.

Drdpharris | 2016年5月22日

Seems to me that some lessons from Dyson might apply.

topher | 2016年5月22日

"There's no way to develop a "new system" for vents."

I hope I can quote you on this at reveal 2 time. Seems an awfully authoritative statement. And so, of course, wrong. Air flow is immensely complicated.

Thank you kindly.

Denys | 2016年5月22日

topher: this video (I hope I am able to get it past Mollom) has an interesting comment from the engineer driving the car at the 50 sec. mark. It mentions how they have "a pretty imaginative way to manage the air flow out of that slot" meaning the vent by the windshield.

youtube dot com slash watch?v=1N47Rn2vrc0&list=PL_9B-lbQ9AqdtSldQu5TISlG7Xl0h7V1F

(here's hoping i can get that link through!)

mos6507 | 2016年5月22日

"I hope I can quote you on this at reveal 2 time."

I think you'll discover that when reveal 2 happens that the dash will have more conventional looking vents added. I have heard nothing about Tesla working on some magical "vent technology". The dash in the prototypes is just unfinished.

mos6507 | 2016年5月22日

BTW, the reps during the test-drives also claimed the dash/instrumentation was final, only for Musk to contradict them afterwards. There was a serious communications problem there with the reveal when it came to the interior.

topher | 2016年5月22日

" the reps during the test-drives also claimed the dash/instrumentation was final, "

Where did you hear that? What I heard was, "This is the design intent", which is clearly not final.

Thank you kindly.

mos6507 | 2016年5月22日

The reps were busy evangelizing for the center screen and the lack of a wheel cluster. You don't do that unless you're telling people there won't be any wheel cluster. Then the press made such a big deal about the minimalism of the screen and when this filtered back into Twitter Q&D Musk said "that's not the final control system, it'll be like a spaceship" and then he hired the guy who worked on the hud for the Mission E.

Regardless of the language the reps used, they made it seem as though the dash was final when it's not.

Nobody knows how much of the interior's going to change, but more recently, with the Motor Trend Tesla 3 coverage, Tesla made a point to kind of shy them away from covering the interior.

Add all this up and I don't think anybody should treat what we've seen with the interior as representative of what will ship in two years.

I think up to the first reveal they had ideas for what they wanted to do, but they used the reveal to gather feedback and they will adjust as much as they can accordingly. That's why Musk didn't rule out front fascia or trunk-opening changes.

So nobody can really say for sure what that front dash is going to look like.

eeoedgar | 2016年5月22日

tbh I rather have a normal screen at the center of the dashboard than that projected screen on to a frosted glass, on a bright sunny day that might not be very visible

Sin_Gas | 2016年5月23日

For those who have not owned a car with HUD, you are in for a treat. My wife and I have them on our cars, and HUD is fantastic. I have speed limit sign, my speed, simple nav directions and cruze indicator. It is simple and very effective.
I would not own a new car without it.

Sin Gas

Drdpharris | 2016年5月23日

Qu'est-ce que c'est, vos automobiles?

Drdpharris | 2016年5月23日

Qu'est-ce que c'est, vos automobiles?