Forums

Pencils down soon , what will final design be ?

Pencils down soon , what will final design be ?

I can't wait to see what the final design plan will be . Maybe heads up display , space ship stearing wheel , and what else will change

sporchiamarco | 2016年6月17日

they didn't say that they'll share with us the final design.. we'll probably have to wait to the next unveil

tommyalexandersb | 2016年6月17日

I'm hoping for HUD, autonomous capability, and that they didn't change the front at all. Can't wait for the second unveil.

Frankmoble | 2016年6月17日

I liked the front as it is . Heads up will be awesome and with the stearing wheel ,I hope those two guy they brought in for it do a awesome job .

Haggy | 2016年6月17日

"they didn't say that they'll share with us the final design.. we'll probably have to wait to the next unveil'

Those two contradict each other. Of course they will show the final design. We can't buy the car otherwise. They won't have the next unveil until after the design is final and all specs are sent out to vendors. I have no idea how long after that it will be. But we are getting close to "pencils down."

Drdpharris | 2016年6月17日

It's the annnnnticipation! (Dr. Frank N. Furter, Rocky Horror Picture Show).

sporchiamarco | 2016年6月18日

they didn't say that they'll share with us the final design. [when the pencil is down]. we'll probably have to wait to the next unveil

better now?

sporchiamarco | 2016年6月18日

I just realized you missed it.. but the next unveil is said to be at the end of 2017, not at the end of pencil down

mntlvr23 | 2016年6月18日

End of 2016

KP in NPT | 2016年6月18日

Some are assuming end of 2016 for part 2 since Tesla has said there will be a big announcement then - but it could be about something other than the Model 3 (many are assuming/speculating it will be about AP v. 2.) I'd be thrilled if it were Part 2 - but my expectation is that it would be more like Spring. (So, a year after part 1.)

On the tour I did earlier this week, we asked the guide if there were any Model 3's around. He said no, they were all down in Hawthorne, but they would start building the production lines for the Model 3 later this year. Then there would be prototypes (beta, I'm assuming) built for testing, etc. So maybe at that point we might start to see them at the factory. (FYI, booking another tour as soon as we hear they're lurking. ;) ) Knowing zero about car companies, I would therefore expect part 2 to be AFTER that was done. But that's only my pure speculation.

I do hope that when pencils ARE down, we at least get a tweet about it from Elon. :)

Drdpharris | 2016年6月18日

Yes I agree, EM promised an unspecified announcement. I suspect it will be about AP2, and the obvious thing would be to implement it in existing vehicles, ie S and X.

topher | 2016年6月18日

And he specifically said that they *weren't* planning an announcement in 6 weeks.

Thank you kindly.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年6月19日

OP: It will be very pretty. But it won't be 'final' for years to come. Tesla Motors will continue to improve the Model ☰ year after year, month after month, week after week right up until they decide to replace it with a completely new design. It will be 'finalized' the day the last one rolls out of Fremont, sometime around 2025, I'd guess.

draselder | 2016年6月19日

To keep the faithful calm and prevent ship jumping, Tesla should easily be able to provide the 98% final design by late 2016. A couple of prototypes for Reveal II show and tell, maybe the auto press gets to sit in and perhaps ride/drive them for review purposes and of course many, many photos. After all, configuration time will be approaching by then and we will need all the time we can get to plan, budget, and salivate.

Haggy | 2016年6月20日

Whatever changes Tesla makes after next month will have to be ones that won't affect anything having to do with contracts with suppliers. The suppliers will be given final plans and will give bids based on them. If Tesla wants to make changes, perhaps they'd be able to work things out or perhaps the supplier would say that Tesla is obligated to accept whatever number they agreed to on the date they agreed to unless they renegotiate.

That won't rule out all changes, but will likely mean that there won't be any drastic ones.

mbukovicky | 2016年6月20日

hopefully nothing changes too much what was shown looked very lovely

Siotisj2004 | 2016年6月20日

Does anybody remember the pencil down date?

mntlvr23 | 2016年6月20日

I believe that Elon first said that pencils down would be at the end of June - but more recently stated a number of weeks that would work out to mid-July.

dakar2001 | 2016年6月21日

Sharpen your pencils for this one!
This would be a great Cowbell, Bose active suspension.
Just YouTube it....

dakar2001 | 2016年6月21日

Sharpen your pencils for this one!
This would be a great Cowbell, Bose active suspension.
Just YouTube it....

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年6月21日

Siotisj2004: "Does anybody remember the pencil down date?"

Not sure but they do use #2 pencils. It has also been reported that compony with Tesla's pencil sharpener maintenance contract expires the end of July. This may be a good indicator.

Haggy | 2016年6月23日

A better indication would be how many ping pong tables they are ordering.

topher | 2016年6月24日

Nah, those engineers now need to design the factory.

Frankly, I don't expect to see any changes to the outside that are noticeable in a picture.

Thank you kindly.

Frankmoble | 2016年6月26日

Maybe they will redesign the trunk. There were lots of complaints about it . We shall see soon enough .,,,,,

jordanrichard | 2016年6月27日

Well, the only thing on the outside that I see changing is the nose. Since that plays no part in how the car drives, they can keep driving test mules around CA with the original nose on. Meaning, if Tesla doesn't want anyone to see a new front design, no one is going to see it. The interior is where most of the changes will take place and that is easily hidden by darkly tinted windows and never leaving the car unattended.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2016年6月27日

Is it July 1 yet? Did Elon slip that date already? Will they ever hit a date? Stay tuned. We will find out "soon".

sporchiamarco | 2016年6月27日

@georgehwley.fl.us .. again the pencil down does not mean that he will show us the final design or similar! it's just an internal milestone, and we may never know if it's done or slipped, maybe ( MAYBE ) they could send us a picture or similar, but it's unlikely

KP in NPT | 2016年6月28日

When pencils are down, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a teasing tweet from Elon. Especially if it's actually on time. It's about time for another round of media coverage.

mos6507 | 2016年6月28日

Considering the stock price tanking due to people not liking the idea of Tesla buying SolarCity, yeah, I'd say a little more M3 hype would be welcome.

mos6507 | 2016年6月28日

Considering the stock price tanking due to people not liking the idea of Tesla buying SolarCity, yeah, I'd say a little more M3 hype would be welcome.

mclear | 2016年6月28日

The stock price fell because Tesla is going to issue more stock (the deal is a stock exchange rather than cash outlay) to purchase SolarCity, thus diluting the ownership percentage of current shareholders and lowering their value. Once SolarCity proves to have more economic value than the value of the new shares issued, the stock price will rise.

hsadler | 2016年6月29日

1. Hatchback (optional)
2. Accelerator and brake pedals (non existent)
3. Side view mirrors (required) plus side view cameras (optional)
4. Communication with other nearby Teslas for traffic info and camera views (included in tech pkg)
5. Easily replaceable processor & memory upgrades (standard)
6. Mood changing paint colors (but this will automatically makes mine red all the time)

topher | 2016年6月29日

" Will they ever hit a date?"

Pencils down isn't a date you hit. it is a date you declare. The question isn't whether you finished the exam, but rather whether the teacher tells you to stop.

Thank you kindly.

Hi_Tech | 2016年6月29日

"Mood changing paint colors" hahahahaha....
I can see all red Model 3s at traffic jams, then become a cheery color (blue, yellow, ???) when it start moving.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年6月29日

Hi_Tech: Psychologists be [DURNED]. For me, RED is always a happy, cheery, wondrous color to behold.

Hi_Tech | 2016年6月29日

@Red Sage - I'm with you bro! My 12 year old son loves red as well... and he is definitely a happy cheery person!

tfay412 | 2016年7月5日

I hope that as reservation holders, Elon will leak the final design to us before the big reveal part 2

danCE | 2016年7月5日

Once the design is finalized (the so-called "pencils down" -- except it's all digital nowadays) they need to actually build the new round of prototypes. These will test manufacturing and assembly processes, drivability, handling, safety, maintenance, and all the other processes that need to be finalized before manufacture can start.

It's these prototypes that will likely be revealed in part 2. Which is why it won't likely happen until the end of this year.

tfay412 | 2016年7月7日

I just hope he doesn't have the same supplier issues he's been having with the Mode S and the X. This could really put a damper on things.

dc | 2016年7月11日

Pencils down this week! Let's see what the Top Secret Tesla Masterplan, Part 2 is that Elon Musk is hoping to publish later this week too (according to his Twitter feed yesterday!)

Hi_Tech | 2016年7月11日

I understand Tesla/EM may not reveal the final model right away, as "danCE" mentioned. Though, I'd like to know that it occurred on schedule. I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

@david - I'm excited to learn more about the new "top secret" Masterplan.

Love how TM is so open with just about all of their plans/designs/patents/messages, etc. Another one of the millions of reasons I love the company, beyond the amazing products!

Ehninger1212 | 2016年7月11日

Any body read Elon posted he has already fixed the trunk problem? I'm very interested to see what that means.

Hi_Tech | 2016年7月11日

@Ehninger1212 - The only post regarding the trunk problem that I'm aware off is that he acknowledged that they needed to look at the trunk opening. He stated that they would be able to widen the opening a bit, but wouldn't turn it into a hatchback. Is that what you are referring to?

Ehninger1212 | 2016年7月11日

He responded to a tweet about needing to fix the trunk opening yesterday, July 10. Saying "already taken car of" whatever that means haha.

Frankmoble | 2016年7月12日

They must have bought new pencils .

carlgo2 | 2016年7月12日

Some Model Y info would be great.

Substantially bigger trunk opening? Would have to redesign a lot of panels and partitions. Not impossible, but...

Nose? Swami sez either a more rounded front to lose the snout effect, or some decor like the S and X.

daniel.devington | 2016年7月12日

How long before delivery date do I get to choose color, equipment etc?
BTW when will the next unveil take place?

bricha55 | 2016年7月12日

daniel.devington

This is pure speculation of course, but If the model X can be an indicator. I don't expect you will be able to configure your car until they start releasing the actual car.

Right now Elon has said that Tesla and SpaceX employees will be the first to receive their cars, meaning they will probably be able to configure a month or so before production starts.

I expect the configuration to be opened on the launch event for all those who stood in line, and then be opened to everyone else later the same week.

bricha55 | 2016年7月12日

daniel.devington

So I would conclude that you will be able to pick colors, equipment etc by the end of July next year if everything is on schedule.

dsvick | 2016年7月12日

The MyTesla page says you'll be asked to configure based on your reservation date, you also need to factor in that production will be done by region. Without knowing when you reserved and where you are no one can make a guess as to when anyone will be asked to configure.

If their planned timeline holds and they do start deliveries late next year I'd expect the first people (employees) to start configuring a month or so prior to that. So, it could be as early as next June or as late as next September or October.