Forums

$4.5 Billion Loan Guarantees For Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

$4.5 Billion Loan Guarantees For Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

Announcement

cleantechnica com 2016/07/21 obama-admin-announces-4-5-billion-doe-loan-guarantees-electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure

Jeff Hudson | 2016年7月21日

This is a terrific development with regard to the EV movement. I seriously hope companies like ChargePoint and Blink take advantage of the loan program.

vperl | 2016年7月21日

Blink refuses to fix their stations in any timely manner .

But........
Giving them help, good luck

brando | 2016年7月21日

I hope this money goes toward chargers (and would be nice if solar/wind powered)
at home
at work
at destinations.

I think we have all seen how useless most public chargers are. Too slow, too low power.
Even another 4.5 billion of these won't help. (Well, I admit they will be fine for electric motorcycles/bikes and micro cars I suppose.)

Can you imagine the Press if any of this money went to Tesla Super Chargers?
Which are the only long distance charging system so far.
Sadly, I suspect only con men will benefit. Nice to be proven wrong.

PS - Here on 11 mile long 2 mile wide island where trips less than 20 miles, unless going off island of course, public charges have cost a small fortune, often are broken and slow to repair. Chargers for 4 cars started at the Supermarket. Useage was so low, they moved to main street, but only 2 this time. Often broken, slow to repair and very seldom used. So much easier to charge at home, dahh. You need a credit card to use them. Pretty much worthless. Been a 4 year long fiasco. Probably could have bought one electric cab for the money spent.

brando | 2016年7月21日

$ 4.5 bilion dollars worth

SCCRENDO | 2016年7月21日

Thank you Barack. Would you guys prefer he spends the money to subsidize the fossil fuel industry.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年7月22日

I hope this isn't purloined by those who want to build Hydrogen fueling stations instead.

SCCRENDO | 2016年7月22日

@Redsage. Wouldn't put anything past them but not sure the risks of trying to charge up a Hydrogen battery

Earl and Nagin ... | 2016年7月23日

This will undoubtedly turn out just like the last DOE EV charging program, The EV Project. It gave us low quality Blink Level 2 EVSEs that cost too much, don't work most of the time, and charge too slowly (only 3.3 kW).
Tesla probably has already installed more, better, more useful, better sited, faster charging infrastructure than this is likely to produce, and for only a fraction of this money.

Al1 | 2016年7月23日

@Earl,

Besides Blink that doesn't work most of the time there are plenty of other projects. Volt, Nissan Leaf, Ford Fusion have largely become possible becomes of government subsidies, Tesla was able to accelerate its development. There is Charge Point.

Besides Tesla nobody has yet been seriously committed to investment into infrastructure. And whatever Tesla has done, way more is needed. Most importantly charging spots in garages and high rise buildings, parking lots of offices and what not.

Al1 | 2016年7月23日

because of government subsidies

SCCRENDO | 2016年7月23日

This is to benefit all EVs not just Tesla. But any progress in the industry ultimately benefits Tesla

lar_lef | 2016年7月23日

Can Tesla get a refund under the plan for its investment? Probably not or someone more inelligent than me would have commented on it.

lar_lef | 2016年7月23日

Oh I see it is a guarantee. Maybe for exapnsion?

lar_lef | 2016年7月23日

expansion

Earl and Nagin ... | 2016年7月23日

@A1,
While I agree that Tesla did and does take some advantage of government funding (grants, loans, and tax subsidies), I'll suggest that they probably don't exceed the money that Tesla has had to pay to overcome government-driven obstacles (NADA, safety, emissions, zoning, export, SOX, etc).
While many will argue value in the regulatory obstacles, the obstacles also conveniently have created plenty of barriers to entry to newcomers which shore up the incumbents' monopoly.
Benevolence or cronyism?

brando | 2016年7月25日

Tesla Motors got a DoE LOAN and has paid back with interest. About $500 million?

The only Grants to Tesla are from California (not the Feds)
https://www.tesla DOT com/blog/tesla-motors-receives-research-and-development-grant-california-air-resources-b

And this one was a matching Grant of Tesla $50 million to California $ 10 million.
http://www.forbes DOT com/sites/toddwoody/2012/10/10/california-grants-tesla-10-million-to-build-the-model-x-electric-suv/#358918235b07

Tax subsidies are available to BUYERS, not the auto companies.

ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicles) credits are available to ALL auto companies and that system was set up before Tesla was founded back in the 1990s to clean up the air.

brando | 2016年7月25日

https://www.greentechmedia DOT com/articles/read/the-white-house-offers-loans-for-electric-car-charging

"It will partner with national labs and the private sector to investigate the economic implications of a DC fast charger of up to 350 kilowatts, which is more than double the power of the fastest chargers out there today. Tesla recently announced that its Supercharger has a capacity of up to 145 kilowatts, higher than the industry standard of 120 kilowatts. A 350-kilowatt fast charger could fuel up a car in less than 10 minutes."

My opinion, worth exactly what you are paying for it, this seems aimed at having an EV fueling station to be just like (ICE) Internal Combustion Engine gasoline stations. Which seems a real waste, as we know one of the great things about Electric Vehicles (EV) is never going to a gasoline station except to long distance travel Super Chargers.

So this program would seem to help preserve centralized business models vs decentralized as in solar panels at home and work.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could write about the pros/cons of a 350 KW charger. I'm suspecting this is too large to safely install at home and too expensive even if you could install at home. And won't this require a totally new connector standard?

Anyone care to inform us?
(sorry for my speculations based on opinion and not actual facts)

More home/work/destination charges would be the real benefit, right?

brando | 2016年7月25日

I see Tesla is on the list of 50 companies, so perhaps waste can be minimized and a 350 KW charger is just what Electric Semi-Tractor Trailer Trucks need?

https://www.whitehouse DOT gov/the-press-office/2016/07/21/fact-sheet-obama-administration-announces-federal-and-private-sector

Homebrook | 2016年7月25日

And here I thought that the US government couldn't spend money unless Congress approved. Silly me. I don't hear of any bill passing. I guess the DOE just pulled $4.5 billion out of a slush fund somewhere? We are so screwed!

Al1 | 2016年7月26日

@brando

this seems aimed at having an EV fueling station to be just like (ICE) Internal Combustion Engine gasoline stations. Which seems a real waste, as we know one of the great things about Electric Vehicles (EV) is never going to a gasoline station except to long distance travel Super Chargers.

This is not necessarily for today's market. But once there are more EV-s on the road and autonomous cars are out there there will be growing need in faster charging. Half and hour charging after three - four hours drive just won't work for car sharing and robo taxis. Waiting for an hour (just 2 customers ahead) to fill the battery isn't practical either.

These loan guarantees can be very useful.

By the way I've noticed somebody debating if it hadn't been for highways US railroads would have been electrified. While this may be true, I doubt this is necessarily good thing. One country that I know has fully electrified railroads but too few paved ones is Russia. You won't like living in such a place, believe me.