Forums

Version 8.0 AP

Version 8.0 AP

I'm excited that the upcoming upgrades will use the sensor suite that is in current cars. As much performance as we can squeeze out of it before needing the next level of hardware is great in my opinion.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-seeing-world-radar

Redmiata98 | 2016年9月11日

Can't wait for "soon" to get here so we can road test the changes.

Gayatrikr | 2016年9月11日

Wonder who are the test owners

lhanspal | 2016年9月11日

A bit weird that Tesla released this news silently on Sunday... there is so much info in the blog - leaves me with a million questions...

1. When is this going to be available? Read the blog 10 times - still cannot figure out a date... "late September"... "mid October"... when, when???
2. No mention about potential hardware upgrades ... so, we continue with existing hardware?

They have a subtle mention of this statement - "Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1)" ... really??? really??? you do realize this is a pretty big deal... :-) ... Details, please!!!

eric.zucker | 2016年9月11日

Within the next two weeks... Supposedly.

carlk | 2016年9月11日

Tesla for sure will continue to improve current system even after new hardware, whenever that would be, comes out.

speyerj | 2016年9月12日

They talk mostly about radar, and they mention that radar is standard since 2014. They also mention that the improvement is in how the car processes the data. It seems to follow that all the increased functionality of 8.0 will apply to all cars, without new hardware.

rlwrw | 2016年9月12日

Here is a lot of information regarding software, processing power, and hardware:
https://electrek.co/2016/09/12/tesla-reaching-limit-autopilot-hardware/

lhanspal | 2016年9月12日

The original blog is full of technical jargon - but there are some really interesting capabilities. Reproducing some of these - with my reactions based on experience with the Autopilot over the last few months...

1. "TACC braking max ramp rate increased and latency reduced by a factor of five"

If I read the above correctly - this will fix a lot of the unreliable braking that you see currently with Autopilot. My initial read on this was that the radar was busted... Boy - was I wrong... They really aren't using the radar - and now they actually plan to use it... :-)

2. "Now controls for two cars ahead using radar echo, improving cut-out response and reaction time to otherwise-invisible heavy braking events"

This is really interesting - I have had a motorcycle cut out in front of me - and the car accelerated full-on to the next one and had me take over and slam brakes... So, wow - nice...

3. "Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1). Available in the United States initially"

This is an absolute hidden gem... :-). I think Tesla needs to setup Apple type events to explain these features... They are *grossly* underselling themselves - if they are able to reliably pull of this feature

4. "Car offsets in lane when overtaking a slower vehicle driving close to its lane edge"

Definitely encountered this one - have seen the car be rock steady in it's lane - even though the next guy is veering close to the lane edge. These are small, but extremely important user enhancements - that makes autopilot driving user friendly... Note to Google - this is how u do it (stop freakin experimenting, release a product!!!)... And btw - Volvo ... Take notes... :-)

5. "Improved cut-in detection using blinker on vehicle ahead"

Very nice ... I have always wondered why the car wasn't reacting to blinkers... It would charge ahead in open spaces... Best describing itself as a "rude driver" ... This would certainly make it 'behave'

These top 5 can be really huge... Amazing that they are claiming to pull this off on existing hardware.

Cannot wait to get this software update...

RonaldA | 2016年9月13日

Off center lane management is great! I have always been very nervous passing trucks or when other drivers "wander" I hope it works well. Maybe my wife will even like it now.

rdfbsmith | 2016年9月13日

We should receive our New 90D by the end of Sept 2016. I am very excited. As long as Tesla doesn't do Apple car play I am happy if it switches its systems to Apple I will be unhappy.

Big T | 2016年9月13日

"As long as Tesla doesn't do Apple car play I am happy if it switches its systems to Apple I will be unhappy."

I don't understand that sentiment. You wouldn't have to use CarPlay if it were available.

carlk | 2016年9月13日

The only reason I don't want to see CarPlay, other than I'm not going to use it anyway, is it could be an indication that Tesla is taking the easy way out and not to integrate better or best systems onto it's great platform.

Big T | 2016年9月13日

Tesla's plans do not include using CarPlay as an easy way out. 8.1 AP will use navigation to know when to take a freeway exit. We all want even tighter integration between AP and navigation. There is no way Tesla is going to get that from CarPlay. They'll need to use their own navigation for that.

I would be nice, however, to be able to install 3rd party apps the way CarPlay does. You could get Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio, etc.

carlk | 2016年9月13日

It looks we will soon get Spotify. I expect the integrationg will be way better than what CarPlay could do with that cheesy little screen area. As for the nav I think everyone's hope is Tesla will one day integrate Waze into the system.

Big T | 2016年9月13日

CarPlay is not limited to a small screen any more than iOS is limited to a phone-sized screen. The car makers decide the screen size.

As far as waze goes, I will not use any product owned by google. I don't need every detail of my life logged specifically to me. With google, we are the product. Everything they produce is used to track us to aggregate as much info as possible and then sell it. They more of their products you use, the more complete picture they have of you in startling detail. The same goes for Facebook.

eddiemoy | 2016年9月13日

I don't get the blog, did it mention when the radar will be decoupled with the system and start to use for imaging? is it with v8.0 just for fleet learning?

carlk | 2016年9月13日

@Big T

The same goes for iPhone too. Besides I don't think anyone other than my wife cares where do I go. Current Tesla nav uses Google maps anyway. Waze is just better than either Google or Apple map.

Big T | 2016年9月14日

Love you carlk, but that's just wrong. Apple has a no track policy. The phone does track you but that's not transmitted to Apple.

Yes, Tesla uses the google maps but not the google navigation. Google doesn't know where you are, who you are, or where you are going.

lhanspal | 2016年9月14日

@eddiemoy - the radar is not get decoupled - it's being utilized much more than it is currently in 7.1. I am actually curious if this means that the camera will not be used ... which doesnt make logical sense - given that the camera does a pretty good job of identifying the lanes. If i have to guess, the logic will retain cameras for lane description - while the radar takes on the duties of acceleration/steering/braking as a primary sensor within the lane.

It appears that the update should be available in the next few weeks - wonder if there will be a delay between MS and MX... probably the MX will get it a bit later.

@carlk - while Waze is not available - one of the key aspects of computing arrival time based on traffic does exist in the current nav. It is an option that you have to enable - Controls -> Settings -> Apps -> Maps ... enable Traffic aware routing. It's a poor man's Waze though - it doesnt give you all the route options, like Waze

eddiemoy | 2016年9月14日

@lhanspal,

you can't use radar or lidar for that matter for identifying lanes. radar is for identifying objects. you need to have camera to recognize lanes. i know of no other way around this.

when comparing waze to tesla navigation waze is always more accurate with predicting time of arrival. i always use both side by side and it is not even close!

lhanspal | 2016年9月14日

Agreed - the camera for lanes seems to be ideal. I have noticed that reducing the TACC speed makes the car braking reliable, however, when autopilot is engaged - I have stepped on the accelerator - and the car is able to accurately perform steering functions (though i have had my hands on the steering wheel lightly). SInce it's the camera that is handling lane marking - that's pretty reliable already.

So, if 8.0 increases the reliability with radar for braking - that would certainly be the best of both worlds.

Haven't done a comparison with Waze & Tesla side by side... generally the arrival time of my 1.5 hr office commute is pretty accurate (just like Waze)

Big T | 2016年9月15日

I, too, have found that the Tesla navigation estimated arrival time is fairly accurate as of recent updates. Within 2 or 3 minutes.

William9 | 2016年9月15日

I concur...

eddiemoy | 2016年9月15日

For me the difference is really big between Tesla NAV and Waze, on a 60 minute trip, it would be off by 10-15 minutes. Maybe area where there is higher congestion will be off more. I can see if it was a highway with lots of free flowing traffic there would be not much difference. Waze is even able to tell you once you hit traffic what the average time in traffic. I love the crowd sourcing from Waze, it is just too many data points! Unlike Tesla. Everyone has a phone.

elguapo | 2016年9月15日

Time is usually effectively the same for me. The Tesla nav, however, regularly chooses worse and, sometimes, nonsensical routes. I don't use the TM nav as it has led my astray and can be absurd. I use Waze...in my $140,000+ "ho tech" car. Oh well, the google map looks nice.

elguapo | 2016年9月15日

"High tech". Ho tech is another forum entirely... :-)

AlMc | 2016年9月15日

@elguapo: Best post I have seen in the last month on TH forum! ;)

lilbean | 2016年9月15日

LOL!

lhanspal | 2016年9月20日

Looks like AP 8.0 is getting rolled out... my wife's Model S had a new update - started the upgrade (since she is traveling) ... hopefully this is 8.0. Will report back later today. Hopefully, the Model X update isnt too far behind

bhoskins | 2016年9月20日

I just did an update this morning..Sadly it was a tease. Not 8.0, but 7.1 I believe. Changed some FWD functionality. The wait continues.

rdfbsmith | 2016年9月20日

As long as they don't use anything APPLE I am good if they go to APPLE I will have a car for sell.

rossRallen | 2016年9月20日

As long as they don't use anything Microsoft I am good if they go to Microsoft then my car will be as useless and frustrating as my PC.

AlMc | 2016年9月20日

@rdfbsmith and @rossRallen: Based on some of the leaked information I doubt either of you have anything to worry about. ;)

jwh8000 | 2016年9月20日

My X got an update yesterday and it was 7.1 update that allows the FWD to retreat a few inches if it hits an obstruction on closing. Must have got too many complaints on pinched fingers.

lhanspal | 2016年9月20日

Darn- it was some minor security update :-(

mikeah007 | 2016年9月21日

Got an Update for both my X And S 1:00am this morning. Updating now.

mikeah007 | 2016年9月21日

False alarm this morning. Minor update for both cars.

rossRallen | 2016年9月21日

I often get the spinning "Lock Washer of Death" on my iPhone Tesla app when it can't connect. Reminds me of Windows.

Waiting eagerly for 8.0. Supposed to be released today according to published sources.

TDinDC | 2016年9月23日

I got an upgrade notice and scheduled the upgrade, but it says 7.1 this morning. Has anyone actually upgraded to 8.0 yet?

Stevebb | 2016年9月23日

According to http://ev-fw.com/track-reports.php?ver=8.0 only model S's are currently getting this upgrade. And it is very slowly rolling out. "Anticipation" - singing that song!

Redmiata98 | 2016年9月23日

Xs will get it also.

Redmiata98 | 2016年9月23日

New report this morning on Fox Business said that after three warning from autopilot, the car shuts diwn. What I think they meant according to other reports I've read is that the autopilot disengages.

aesculus | 2016年9月23日

It disengages and you have to shut down the car (put it in park) to activate it again. So as usual, Fox has it partly right. :-)

darlin | 2016年9月23日

I want the media player updates pronto. This things media interface suxs.

aesculus | 2016年9月23日

Don't get too alarmed yet, but the early word on the street is that the USB support is actually much worse.

There is a thread developing over at TMC about what is needed to fix it.

lhanspal | 2016年9月28日

I had a chance to drive my wife's S with 8.0 yesterday... IMHO, 8.0 is good, but not great...

There is a definite increase in reliability in stop & go traffic in terms of braking... the radar does show more cars... but the actual autopilot experience seems just marginally better with 8.x

Looks like Tesla seems to have deferred a key feature - "Improved cut-in detection using blinker on vehicle ahead" ... I had to slam brakes as the car ahead cut-in with blinkers on...

Besides the autopilot - there are some new cool UI ... but heck, that's not what i bought this car for... :-) .. that's a different product called iOS 10.0

Regardless... waiting for 8.0 on the X ... but it's likely going to be 8.1 - when things get interesting with stuff like "Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1)"

lhanspal | 2016年9月28日

BTW - if i had to guess the reason why the cut-in maybe worse than 7.x, it's likely that the radar has a narrower view compared to the camera.

Of course - drove the car just 1 day... 70 miles... so, not enough data to make a conclusion one way, or the other...

Spprcv | 2016年9月29日

@Ihanspal, I have had a loaner S for a couple of days while my X is in the shop, it has 8.0. Totally agree with your assessment. BTW, having an S has totally validated my decision to get an X. I miss it.

rossRallen | 2016年9月29日

Reading posts on the Model S forum about 8.0, I will wait until there's plenty of experience with 8.X on Model X before upgrading. My latest v7 software works just fine, and I'm not eager to add any issues. I'm not a Luddite, just wary of being a beta tester.

Pages