Forums

Bolt price

Bolt price

Chevy bolt is priced at 43-48k in NH and looks like a mini garbage truck in comparison to a T3.

dd.micsol | 2016年9月13日

BTW-at that price point-where the F in the HUD?! What a POS.

makobill | 2016年9月13日

Being the car isn't released yet, the configurator isn't up, and no dealership I've spoken with has any info on pricing - I have to ask, where are you getting this price range?

dd.micsol | 2016年9月13日

I asked the dealer for an estimated price as I wanted to preorder one. He said I couldn't but believes the price will be higher than expected as they say there isn't any competition.... yet and they believe people will want it and will sell fast like the coopers.

makobill | 2016年9月13日

The infamous dealership model strikes again... Know less than the consumer and add no value in the process.... Thanks for sharing and I'll post back what I hear when I hear it for the Midwest report....

carlos | 2016年9月13日

The worst part about the Bolt is having to "DEAL" with dealerships. I personally don't think the car is such a bad option, but that's just my humble opinion.

SamO | 2016年9月13日

The Bolt will be a good deal in places with big incentives. As far as options . . . I think they'll try to come in just under the Model 3 price. So $34,500 . . . with no options.

jordanrichard | 2016年9月13日

dd.miscol, in other words your local dealer has no clue. If he can come up with an estimate on price, how about an estimate when one will actually be able to buy one from him/her, in NH. Chevy is sending all the Bolts to CA.

stevenmaifert | 2016年9月13日

So Chevy is doing a sequenced roll-out of the Bolt with CA first. Not surprising since that is probably their largest market. "Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east." Some sequencing there too and by contrast, Chevy isn't giving a head-of-the-line privilege to prior Chevy owners or those who want to buy a "highly optioned" Bolt.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年9月13日

So, they are going to try to get BMW i3 money for it. Isn't it nice how 'independent franchised dealerships' kindly choose to charge 'what the market can bear'...?

carlk | 2016年9月13日

Hey be nice. With some improvements the Bold can almost be as good as a $18K Hyundai Elantra.

makobill | 2016年9月13日

carlk - GIven an Elantra is an ICE vehicle, its better than it at nearly any price... Leave the comparisons EV to EV - as the alternative doesn't bode well for anyone on this board owning a Tesla. Got no interest in another ICE / Big Oil vehicle for my future...

Anyone else notice on the site that Chargepoint was featured in nearly every video for the Bolt? Wonder if we are going to see a separate announcement from GM on a new partnership there?

makobill: Comparisons will be made, even among vehicles where there is significant contrast, as has always been the case.

GM might have already made an announcement of some sort regarding Chargepoint, if not, they will likely do so before too long. However, they very specifically stated that they would NOT be participating in or joining or funding, or building any type of public or national charging infrastructure whatsoever.

jordanrichard | 2016年9月13日

stevenmaifert, first Chevy has to have a line of people waiting for the Bolt to give some "cuts" in line. There certainly wasn't a line of people waiting with money in hand, at the reveal for the Bolt, or GM would have surely promoted the living crap out of that fact.

A guaranteed dealer markup of from $5,500 to $10,500...? Ridiculous. It seems that New Hampshire doesn't really offer much of an incentive package for buying an EV. The most valuable thing you can 'get' is an exemption from smog tests. Yeah.

carlos | 2016年9月13日

If I was looking (which I am not because the arseholes at VW have not figure out the buy out for 3.0 TDi owners), I would probably purchase a CPO'd i3. 2014's at low 20s now.

tranhv68 | 2016年9月13日

Once prospective customers see the dealer markups, they'll go to their computers and order a model 3. Once new bolt owners start to try to charge at the few fast DC charging stations where they'll have to compete with other bolts and leafs for a single charger, they'll quickly order a model 3 to replace their bolt after their lease expires. GM, like Nissan will do very little to support an adequate charging infrastructure.

jamilworm | 2016年9月13日

I really think many of you are over-weighting the importance of fast charging. Most people don't drive on road trips all the time. I think I've only ever driven more than 300 miles in a single day about 4 times in the last 10 years. And all of my trips between 200-300 miles in a day were 100-150 miles one way, stay a few hours (when I could be recharging) and then 100-150 miles return in the evening.

If I had a short range EV I would just drive my wife's car when I needed to, or rent a car. Its the same argument for people who drive a Suburban around the city and say "well what if one day I need to take 8 people on a camping trip, I'll need the space", but instead they just drive an enormous car around by themself all the time getting bad gas mileage.

Anyway many people who buy $40k cars have more than one vehicle, so I'll concede that it wouldn't be practical to have all of your household cars be Bolts, but one of them easily could be.

jamilworm: I've taken multiple road trips that were over 1,900 miles one way in the past couple of years. In fact, I just got back from one of them a few days ago. I got to spend a great bit of time behind the wheel of my Sister-in-Law's Ford Escape. Which surprised me, as I thought we were going to take my Brother's F-150 Lariat instead.

I will concede that the BOLT will likely be a very nice courtesy vehicle for hotels and resorts, allowing them to be shuttles to and from the airport and perhaps around the campus. Prolly a lot better than the old VW THING (or whatever they were) that they used on 'Fantasy Island' at least.

Nexxus | 2016年9月14日

@RedSage,

Yep, that's exactly what the stealerships do. If they think they will have a hot car on their hands then they'll mark it up that much and more. $43k to $48k sounds about right. So much for the entry level $37,500.00, the public will never see it for that price unless it doesn't sell the 50K units/year GM is planning. Makes the direct to consumer model Tesla uses look better and better.

Just my take on it.

makobill | 2016年9月14日

Red Sage ca us - After reading many of your posts, I completely get your perspective and don't think we are that far off on our thoughts. I would argue that the Volt is a great test case for the Bolt - with some caveats.

The Volt is a surprisingly nice car. It has been largely hurt, not by marketing, but by very poorly designed headroom in the interior. Whether that is 'intentional' or not, I'm not certain - but it only takes one trip with a person of 5'10" to realize the design is flawed. Intentional? Maybe. As its not a car for the masses...

The counter to this is that nearly every person that buys a Volt loves it. Many go on to purchase another - despite its shortcomings. People get a feel for that EV drive and just can't be satisfied otherwise. Addictive.

The Bolt is going to take that Volt chink and widen it dramatically. No headroom issues, and pure EV bliss around town - where most people spend their time. I don't think Chevy can keep this in the bottle if that's their plan. I'd argue it might even be a flaw in their plan, as once it happens, people WILL want a Model 3 that don't even consider it today.

I'm not a GM / Big Auto fan and could rant hours around the topic. I love Tesla's vision. I just view the Bolt through 'master plan' goggles - which hides some of the warts you point out, and are obviously there. Just my 3 cents over coffee on humpday...

makobill | 2016年9月14日

One other point I failed to mention, that gets to the heart of the matter. I stopped by my elderly parents home yesterday for dinner. Over dinner, my father brought up the Chevy Bolt on his own and was genuinely 'impressed' for his own set of reasons. Key point is this - my father couldn't have told you who Tesla was prior to this past month when I mentioned my deposit on the Model 3. With the Bolt, he saw something familiar and now is considering EV for the masses more seriously due to the "GM" product. In his mind, Tesla was a young persons fad - like tattoos, and nose piercings, and the internet. (That last part was for humor only - he's an internet junkie...) Once GM 'got behind it' - it all of a sudden became something 'real' to him for practical transportation.

Do I find that humorous? You bet! Is he going to be alone in that 'revelation'? No way! MASTER PLAN baby in full force...

makobill | 2016年9月14日

One other point I failed to mention, that gets to the heart of the matter. I stopped by my elderly parents home yesterday for dinner. Over dinner, my father brought up the Chevy Bolt on his own and was genuinely 'impressed' for his own set of reasons. Key point is this - my father couldn't have told you who Tesla was prior to this past month when I mentioned my deposit on the Model 3. With the Bolt, he saw something familiar and now is considering EV for the masses more seriously due to the "GM" product. In his mind, Tesla was a young persons fad - like tattoos, and nose piercings, and the internet. (That last part was for humor only - he's an internet junkie...) Once GM 'got behind it' - it all of a sudden became something 'real' to him for practical transportation.

Do I find that humorous? You bet! Is he going to be alone in that 'revelation'? No way! MASTER PLAN baby in full force...

makobill | 2016年9月14日

Double post - not sure how to delete with MS Edge...

Haggy | 2016年9月14日

You can't delete your second post, but we can all flag it for you.

hsadler | 2016年9月14日

@makobill

Did you discuss GM's history on EV's with your Dad?

makobill | 2016年9月15日

hsadler - I didn't as I needed to keep the conversation positive. He needs to drive an EV, hopefully mine, before I start having further conversations on the topic. Baby steps to forward progress, from experience...

Tiebreaker | 2016年9月15日

Bolt's MSRP is completely arbitrary. Since GM doesn't need to make any profit from the Bolt, they can set it anywhere they want. Preferably just near Model 3's price.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年9月15日

I was a longtime fan of GM products for several years, ever since childhood. I realize now that was mostly for the sake of the exterior styling. I especially like that their cars tend to have names instead of just numbers or alphanumerical soup as do European marques. Then I discovered what Tesla Motors had accomplished with the Model S, and learned of their struggles with NADA to sell direct in multiple States, and found out that General Motors in particular had filed grievances with State Legislatures noting their direct opposition to Tesla Motors being allowed to sell direct -- despite the fact they had no 'independent franchised dealerships' to compete with at all -- whether fairly or 'unfairly' at all. Then I was reminded of the GM EV-1. And now, everytime I walk by a CRUZE or MALIBU or CORVETTE in a parking lot I ask myself, 'Why isn't this an electric car.' And the funny thing is that I have realized that's a question I've been asking for over 40 years, since I was a child of six. 'Why do we have to pour gasoline into a tank and burn it for energy in a car? Why is a tailpipe necessary at all? Why does everything have to be so hot?" Because there is a part of me that has ALWAYS KNOWN that electric drive was simply BETTER. And Tesla Motors has opened my eyes to the fact that GM has always used delay tactics to PREVENT the inevitable result of fully electric cars coming to market. So I'm now on Team Tesla for good.

topher | 2016年9月19日

"Bolt's MSRP is completely arbitrary. Since GM doesn't need to make any profit from the Bolt, they can set it anywhere they want."

No they can't. Nor should we want them to, if they could. If they try to sell below cost as a loss leader, they will need to artificially limit quantities. Nor would those low prices be passed on to the consumers. Given decent demand, independent dealers will price that car at what the market will bear (see $43-48k that OP was quoted). So any low price is just a gift to the dealers, and won't even drive up demand.

They should price it probably around $30,000, which makes it competitive with the Model ≡, and blows away all the 100 mile range EVs.

Thank you kindly.

jordanrichard | 2016年9月19日

Well, they already stated and it is in the fine print of the Bolt website, that the MSRP is $37,500. Also on the website, you see the word "available" on just about every feature as in "this will, be extra". Want to be able to charge your car at home at a rate of 25 mph, that will cost you extra. Want to use a DC fast charger, that will cost you extra.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年9月19日

jordanrichard: The question is whether or not those 'extras' will be in addition to dealer markup...

jordanrichard: The question is whether or not those 'extras' will be in addition to dealer markup...

I here you. Since learning that the Bolt will be going to the 8 states that follow CA's lead, that means here in CT, the Bolt should be available. We can buy the E-Golf and B-Class EV here. So I have been toying with the idea of going to my local Chevy dealer and see what they have to say. I would certainly not go their in my Tesla. I want them to think I know nothing about EVs.

makobill | 2016年9月19日

I wouldn't assume your sales person even knows Tesla is an EV. Might be entertaining anyway. Never learned a single thing talking to a dealer sales rep in all my years of buying vehicles. Well take that back, I've learned you can't trust them and they are full of bad information - so that's something...

True, but what I in a twisted way am looking forward to, is them telling me something that is flat out wrong. If I feel froggy, I might throw Tesla's name, specifically the Model 3 into the conversation and see what they say

Tiebreaker | 2016年9月19日

Hey @topher , you just said what I said, if you would have quoted my whole post. The part you omitted: "Preferably just near Model 3's price." ... predates your last sequence.

Yes, they (GM) will be selling it as a loss leader. Yes, they will be artificially limiting quantities, they already capped them ... They don't care about passing savings to he consumer, they don't care what the dealers will sell them for (they don't care about either for their current cars). They only care about MSRP and the public perception.

See below at 1:10

https://finance.yahooDOTcom/video/gm-guns-tesla-chevy-bolt-173039703.html

"GM has a huge advantage here, because they don't have to make a profit on the Bolt, they can cross-subsidize it from everything else they make money on, from pickup trucks, SUVs..."

jordanrichard: If your State allows clandestine recording, do so on your mobile phone while at the Chevy dealer, then upload the file to a server. Send a private tweet to Elon of its location for his edification. (devilfacegrin)

makobill | 2016年9月20日

GM announced pricing with a snip-it below of the two trim levels which I grabbed from The Verge:

Before the credit, the Bolt starts at $37,495 for the LT trim, with the higher-end Premier trim starting at $40,905. The base trim includes a number of standard features like a 10.2-inch touch screen, the 60kWh battery that’s good for 238 all-electric miles according to the EPA, and the powertrain that’s good for 200 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque.
The Premier trim adds a 360-degree camera system, leather seats, several safety features like blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert, and options for an upgraded audio system, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, and several other features.

jordanrichard | 2016年9月20日

makobill, good catch.

melinda.v | 2016年9月20日

Did Chevron sponsor the Verge's photo of the Bolt sitting at a gas pump? Ha

makobill | 2016年9月20日

I saw that and found it HILARIOUS. Somebody clearly either has a strong sense of humor or is clueless....

KP in NPT | 2016年9月20日

And now Electrek is reporting that the Bolt price will be significantly cheaper in Canada....not including incentives. Why would that be?

https://electrek.co/2016/09/20/the-chevy-bolt-ev-will-be-significantly-c...

brando | 2016年9月20日

Just poor journalism and reminds me of Mark Twain quote;

If you don't read newspapers you are ill informed.
If you do read newspapers you are misinformed. (That is always the risk, isn't?)

Tax breaks, incentives, exchange rates, trim levels it can all get confusing.

Tiebreaker | 2016年9月20日

@mp1156 - that just reinforces the notion that Bolt's MSRP is completely arbitrary.

jordanrichard | 2016年9月20日

I mentioned this in another Bolt thread, but if you go to the Bolt website only the MSRP is listed. No mention of what the Premier version cost, what any of the options cost etc. I wonder if GM is letting the dealers set those prices.

makobill | 2016年9月21日

I noticed the Premier version not posted on their site as well, and not sure why they haven't put it up yet. You may be on to something around 'options' as I've been bit by that before in the traditional 'stealership model'...

dsvick | 2016年9月21日

Not to mention that, in most cases, you won't be able to choose your options anyway. You'll be stuck with whatever the dealership decides is the proper option mix for your area - i.e. you'll get whatever nets them the most money.

makobill | 2016年9月23日

Spoke with my local GM dealer in Oklahoma (Bob Howard) and they 'assured' me that the Bolt would be available in OK in 4Q. I told them to call me when they got one in or had an ETA so I could take it for a drive. I'm not 'fuzzy' on the fact they are correct on that ETA.... :>)

EaglesPDX | 2016年9月24日

The Bolt pricing seems to be comparable to Volt pricing. The marketing is likely to give customers a choice of either full EV or Plug-in hybrid at the same price point.

The 2017 Volt is a nice looking car, they went with a full back seat and 60/40 fold down and large lift back.

A loaded Volt will be $42K less the $7,500 Federal Credit. If the T3 with range, autopilot, AWD is pushing $60K and a financial reach in 2018, the Volt or Bolt would be a viable alternative.

jordanrichard | 2016年9月24日

"Full back seat", have you tried to sit in the back of the new Volt? I have and to call that "center seat" a seat, is almost criminal. You literally have to straddle your legs over the huge hump in the floor and the "seat" is not only uncomfortable but it is only about 14 inch wide.

Pages