Forums

Battery options

Battery options

Do we have any ideas yet what the battery options might be? I'm assuming we'll be looking at something like a 40Kw as the baseline. Does that sound likely?

makobill | 2016年9月29日

Pure speculation at this point, and don't buy anything Eagles is selling on that front... His likely and fact get intertwined....

KP in NPT | 2016年9月29日

No one knows. All we know is that it will be new battery architecture. I think the new P100D uses this new architecture.

starcrusader | 2016年9月29日

What is the deal with the new architecture? Denser?

starcrusader | 2016年9月29日

Thanks, reading that now.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2016年9月29日

The new pack architecture means squeezing more cells in the volume available. Tricky because of the temperature constraints that must be maintained in the big sardine can. The extra 780 or so cells add only about 75 pounds to the pack.

My guess for base battery pack in the M≡ is 55 kWh that with estimated 50 kWh usable and rated 230 wh/mile consumption (another guess) will give the base model a rated range of a little more than 215 miles. The importance of the new pack "architecture" is that is facilitates the design of a more compact, less expensive, lighter weight housing for the M≡ , all parameters of importance. Final guess is that they will leave a little extra room in the new case so that a higher end model will be able to have more range without tinkering with cell chemistry.

jordanrichard | 2016年10月2日

The form factor they are going to use in the M≡ will be different than the existing cells used in the MS and MX.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年10月3日

The only "official" word from Tesla so far is the base pack is under 60 kW. The general consensus of long-timers here is the base pack will be close to 55 kW (as george points out above).

The pack itself is entirely different than that used in the Model S and X. How much extra space is available for larger packs is totally unknown. Beyond that, it's all speculation and your guess is as good as anyone's. I doubt there will be a 100+ kW pack. The car is smaller and the battery space must have some limits on it. It also helps further differentiate the Model S/X from the 3.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年10月3日

starcrusader: Even if it were somehow possible to build a street legal midsize car that weighed 2,800 lbs or less, a 40 kWh battery pack would be unlikely to allow an EPA certified range of 200+ miles.

The Fiat 500e has a 24 kWh battery pack, weighs 2,900 lbs and has an 84 mile EPA range. Thus, if it weighed the same and had a 40 kWh battery pack, its range might be 140 miles -- 60 short of the minimal goal.

The Toyota RAV4 EV had a 50 kWh battery pack that was limited to 41.8 kWh usable and it had an EPA range of 103 miles. That was even though it was front wheel drive, weighed around 400 lbs less than the lightest version of the Model S, and had a motor limited to 154 horsepower.