Forums

Configuration

Configuration

I know the delivery is not slated till late 2017. However, I would like to know when there will be options to setup configuration choices on the Model 3. Trying to weigh out Model S 75D for example vs Model 3 with similar options.

I would really like to jump on getting the 90D Model S, but currently cant justify it considering I only drive 4 miles to my office. I want to job I have to be in the car for an hour each way just so I can be in the car haha.

Anyway, any details on when the configuration page will be up for the Model 3 is appreciated.

cars | 2016年10月6日

Nobody knows! :)

dsvick | 2016年10月6日

As cars said, no one here knows, and the general consensus seems to be that the second reveal wont be until spring of next year so the configurator wouldn't be available until some time after that. And, even then, I don't think you'll be able to see the configurator until you've been invited to by Tesla.

The second reveal though may have all the info you need to make a decision.

mr_e_mn007 | 2016年10月6日

Thanks, Appreciate the replies!

jordanrichard | 2016年10月7日

mr_e_mn007, what are you looking for in a car? The reason I ask is that the MS and M≡ are 2 different cars. The MS is a large hatchback ("liftback") and the M≡ is/will be a standard 4 door sedan. The cargo capacity/utility in the MS is far more than the M≡.

EaglesPDX | 2016年10月7日

The recent history of the TX will probably provide an idea on when the "Custom Order" configurator will be up on the web site for every one to use. Once a production date is set, Tesla will need to have people start ordering well in advance of that in order to line up the actual orders based on its stated hierarchy of employees, Tesla owners, West coast and number of options.

Assuming Tesla is able to ship a few thousand end of 2016 and maybe a six month lead time, you'd expect the "Custom Order" configurator to be on the website for everybody to play with, even those who have not put up a deposit, by Spring of 2017.

We should have news from Tesla on what options will be available and what prices before that, end of this year (a nice Christmas present from Tesla) so people can plan.

andy.connor.e | 2016年10月7日

No one on the forums knows any more than you. Believe me, everyone will know when you can customize it.

zakeeus | 2016年10月7日

It will be at some point after the 2nd reveal. We can't configure until they tell us what we are configuring.

dyefrog | 2016年10月7日

EaglesPDX - i think you're about a year early

EaglesPDX | 2016年10月7日

@dyefrog "EaglesPDX - i think you're about a year early"

Actually about a year late, I meant to type Spring 2016 Tesla will likely open up the "Custom Order" configurator for the T3.

bryandbaker | 2016年10月8日

Only 4 miles to work? Here's a better option than driving, and a lot cheaper than a 90D. https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/

A fantasy Model 3 configurator: http://www.model3config.com/

A fantasy configuration collector: put in your preferred options, and see the averages of what everyone else put in. Fun. https://model3tracker.info/

dyefrog | 2016年10月8日

@EaglesPDX-maybe i'm loosing it but spring 2016 has come and gone.

EaglesPDX | 2016年10月9日

@dyefrog "@EaglesPDX-maybe i'm loosing it but spring 2016 has come and gone."

You may be right .

Back to Spring 2017 for the configurator. If Tesla is going to deliver cars in Winter of 2016, you would think they'd need at least six months to get orders to suppliers. No way to know for sure what those orders need to be without letting people configure and price their cars.

They can always add "Subject to Change" but they need to get orders in the supplier pipelines to build them.

melinda.v | 2016年10月10日

With the volume of cars Tesla will be building of the Model ☰, they will be planning to have enough pats on hand to build whatever configuration people order. They will not need to order parts after configurations are done. If they have a surplus of part A, it may sit for a year. If they run low on part B, they will order more.

EaglesPDX | 2016年10月10日

@melinda.v "They will not need to order parts after configurations are done. If they have a surplus of part A, it may sit for a year. If they run low on part B, they will order more."

Nope. Not how modern mfg works. It's based on Just In Time Inventory. But the real point is that mfg suppliers need to be getting orders from Tesla now, assuming design is done as Teslas states, for all kinds of parts in order to be able to build out 500,000 cars in 26 months.

Since Tesla knows the final design, knows the range, knows the dimensions, the interior layout, the options and knew it when the design phase was ended some months ago.

No reason Tesla cannot share that with its paying customers.

KP in NPT | 2016年10月11日

Based on what it says in the reservation and what they have done in the past, the configurator may not be available to everyone initially. The reservation page says you will be invited to configure based on when you reserved. Since I reserved 10 minutes after they started, I am assuming I will be among the first non-employees to configure. I expect they will open the configurator in batches according to when you reserved, initially.

But once configuration starts, all the details will be all over the Internet. So even if you don't get to configure, you will know what the options will cost.

dsvick | 2016年10月11日

@EaglesPDX - "ut the real point is that mfg suppliers need to be getting orders from Tesla now, assuming design is done as Teslas states, for all kinds of parts in order to be able to build out 500,000 cars in 26 months.

Since Tesla knows the final design, knows the range, knows the dimensions, the interior layout, the options and knew it when the design phase was ended some months ago."

And they have, there was a report a month or so ago that Tesla had ordered enough parts to build 300 cars, so it sounds like they ordered 300 of everything. Once they get all those parts though they need to test them both singlely and in conjunction with other parts for compatibility, fit, finish, durability, and a whole bunch of other things. It is only after that testing is done that they'll be in a position to order parts for actual production. At that point they'll place orders for a month or so of parts to be delivered each month, starting a month before production, that way they should have a month's reserve on hand. You can substitute whatever time frame they choose for "month" they may only want to have 2 weeks worth or it could be 6.

They haven't shown us anything yet because there really isn't anything to show except drawings. Once all the testing is done and the parts are delviered they'll build some actual engineering prototypes that can be driven, it's at that point that we'll see something official.

dsvick | 2016年10月11日

@mp1156 - "But once configuration starts, all the details will be all over the Internet."

Within minutes!!

4fishtankz | 2016年10月11日

I'm curious of the options, configurations and prices of the options too, since a lot of tempting deals on S has been in the email lately.

KP in NPT | 2016年10月11日

"No reason Tesla cannot share that with its paying customers."

@Eagles, you seem like you know about the design to production phases of auto making - pencils down was just a few months ago, so why would you expect to know those details before the production concept is completed and tested? I'm sure we will see reveal part II, when all questions will be answered, as soon as they're ready to show us the final design. I don't expect any of those details before then, from Tesla or any other automaker.

paul | 2016年10月11日

@Eagles, If the Bolt is going to be out "late 2016" then why don't we know the price of the options for the Bolt? Surely GM owes it to its customers to tell us this information. Especially with the vehicle only weeks/days away.

KP in NPT | 2016年10月11日

@paul, the information is on chevy's website now - but it was recently released. Not over a year before deliveries were expected to start, like Eagles expects of Tesla for the Model 3.

paul | 2016年10月11日

@mp1156, it is my understanding that the pricing for the options and premier package has not been released. Do you have pricing information on the premier package?

Eagles stated: We should have news from Tesla on what options will be available and what prices before that, end of this year (a nice Christmas present from Tesla) so people can plan.

It seems to me that if the Bolt is going to be "available" in the next 60 days (end of 2016) then Eagles should similarly be complaining that GM hasn't provided their pricing and options.

KP in NPT | 2016年10月11日

While I am unable to "compare models" on Chevy's website (that page won't load and it causes my browser to pinwheel, despite multiple tries,) the pricing for the LT and Premier has been reported by various websites, so I assume they got it from Chevy.

This article, with pricing, is dated 9/19. Again, just a few months before the Bolt's release.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106177_2017-chevy-bolt-ev-price-ele...

paul | 2016年10月11日

@mp1156: Thank you for the article. It does list the pricing for the premier model. Again, thank you for sharing. And, I agree with you that GM didn't release those prices until just a few months before the Bolt's announced release.

Have a good one!

jordanrichard | 2016年10月11日

mp1156, the Bolt's website shows nothing but the base price. Also there have been numerous people here who have spoken with their Chevy dealers and they didn't have nay information.

KP in NPT | 2016年10月11日

Agreed @Jordanrichard - and since Chevy's website seems to be "broken" I can't find the information there. But Like I posted above, I did see the premier price in several online articles, so I am *assuming* that information came from Chevy. Without being able to check their website for the information, who knows for sure. And based on my interaction with ICE dealers selling plug in hybrids, I'd say lack of information is rampant. ;)

EaglesPDX | 2016年10月11日

@paul "@Eagles, If the Bolt is going to be out "late 2016" then why don't we know the price of the options for the Bolt? Surely GM owes it to its customers to tell us this information. Especially with the vehicle only weeks/days away."

GM and the Bolt have nothing to do with Tesla owing T3 buyers a six month update now that design has been finalized?

Tesla has finished designing and several big customer issues were going to be resolved such as the redesign of the trunk to provide a liftback similar to the TS which is what people were expecting. What is top range estimate of the battery pack? What is the towing capacity and will it require the air suspension system? What is the final instrumentation going to look like? What will be optional and what will be standard?

Fair to ask Tesla for better customer service and some T3 updates after six months.

dsvick | 2016年10月11日

@Eagles - " not fair, blah, blah, blah owes me .... yammer, yammer I'm gonna stamp my feet blah, blah hatchback blah "

Yawn, someone wake me when he cancels his reservation and leaves the rest of us in peace ....