Forums

AP can it be Hacked

AP can it be Hacked

can someone hack the Tesla system to steal the cars ? Take control of the AP?
I m not a techie guy

bmalloy0 | 2016年11月21日

The short answer is yes. The real question is how long will it take before it happens. Any computer can be hacked. Tesla hires professional hackers to teat their systems to find weak points and they adopt their software accordingly. I would imagine that AP has some of their highest security surrounding it.

topher | 2016年11月22日

Being a techie guy doesn't really help in answering the question, Computers are analogous to prisons, we say that there is no such thing as an escape-proof prison, and there is no such thing as an unhackable computer. But that is really only because no one has ever made one. They also both suffer from the same weaknesses, input and output.

Computers are incredibly complex, and security requires being right in every possible place, so the problem is indeed a hard one. Every time someone want to add some cool new feature, the problem increases.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年11月22日

Consider that the Tesla is one of the least stolen cars per 100,000 made. There are a lot of reasons for this:

1) The car can be tracked by the owner.

2) Tesla can disconnect the LTE service on a stolen car so that it greatly cripples the car (no maps, no streaming, no updates, etc.)

3) There is very little market for Tesla parts as most cars are still under warranty (eliminates chop shops).

4) The number of Teslas is still quite small. High volume cars are far better targets as they blend in better when stolen.

5) High value cars get more attention.

Now Tesla does attract hackers for the bragging rights as Tesla is far superior tech to other brands. Yet when such a hack occurs, Tesla can update the entire fleet immediately over-the-air. Other makers often take years to fix hacks and most of the fleet never gets updates as it requires finding the owner and getting them to come into the dealer. Too many other easy pickings out there to worry about this on Teslas.

brando | 2016年11月22日

Car thieves are no better at selling electric cars than car thieving dealers.

New Cars For Sale - Can You Trust New Car Prices? and from our friends down under

9wAUdojj3iA

What do you think Ross? And where are Red Sage thoughts on this topic and JeffreyR; another Tesla Advantage, no?

SamO | 2016年11月22日

Nothing is hack proof.

And there's no such thing as a perfect autopilot/ self driving car.

John Bender: Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Tesla is just MUCH better than any other carmaker.

Haggy | 2016年11月22日

Tesla has asked the best hackers in the world to give it their best shot. Early on, they got a group that was convinced they'd find things, and they did. What they found most of all was that Tesla did a far better job than they had anticipated. They did find a handful of things that could be done, but they required physical access to the car and taking out the center console electronics and putting it back in order to do some trivial things remotely. Tesla did software updates within days to address it.

More recently, some hackers in China figured out a way to take over some functions and Tesla fixed those within a few days also. But that required the owner to connect to a rogue network. In real life the car uses 3G/4G and would use WiFi only if you explicitly switch to a network. The exception would be one that's already in your system. The idea was that if they created a rogue network that looked like one that your car would connect to, it could happen. But it would be almost impossible for them to have the SSID of my home network, for me to automatically connect, and drive around some parking lot or other location where I'd stay in range. In real life even if I did get in that situation, after about 30 seconds of driving I'd be out of range and back on 4G.

The example they gave was that all cars can connect to WiFi at the service center. However that particular WiFi connection doesn't look like others, isn't one you could add or remove from your system, and if I change the SSID of my home network to have the name of the one that the Tesla service center uses, it won't connect. I tried it. But it's a moot point. As unlikely as that scenario was, Tesla patched it.

These hackers didn't do it to try to kill anybody or take over functions on a stranger's car. Doing so would mean going to jail. They did it because Tesla offers a bounty program, and those who are most capable might as well do it so they can show the world that they could, which they would be free to do right after Tesla creates a patch. If they do that, they get the bounty and the credit. Otherwise, they get nothing worthwhile and if they take public credit they'd be in trouble.

The fact that Tesla can update the software remotely means that Tesla is better prepared than anybody else to deal with these issues.

andy.connor.e | 2016年11月23日

If someone wants to hack it, they will. One thing that cant be stopped is hackers, thats why they're viewed as criminals most times.

topher | 2016年11月23日

"If someone wants to hack it, they will."

Why isn't the same true of a bank?

Thank you kindly.

bernard.holbrook | 2016年11月24日

@topher - Banks get hacked at the time. Try Googling "Bank Hack" and reading.

Remember that Credit Card and Banking Card fraud often involves hacking banks or their network (like swipers).

topher | 2016年11月24日

@bernard:

Yup, next question, how much money do they get?

[note, most credit card fraud has nothing to do with hacking the bank's computer.]

Thank you kindly.

bernard.holbrook | 2016年11月24日

@Topher: Since you can't seem to use Google, I will educate you:

From Wikipedia:
In February of 2016, US$951 million from Bangladesh Bank, the central bank of Bangladesh, were issued via the SWIFT network. Roughly 101 Million left the state; about half recovered.

From CNN Money 2016 Aug 31:
Ecuador's Banco del Austro was hit for $12 million.

From CNN Money 2016 May 27
Bank in Philippines, amount not released. Bank in Vietnam for $1 Million.

From 'The Telegraph 2016 Nov 07':
Tesco Bank of England, 40K accounts hacked, money removed from 20K accounts, stolen amounts not disclosed.

This is not VISA fraud but direct hacks against our banking system.

No, Thank YOU kindly.

topher | 2016年11月25日

@Barnard,

And (with the exception of the last one, what do they all have in common?

[If VISA frauds aren't what you were talking about, why did you bring it up?]

Thank you kindly.

bernard.holbrook | 2016年11月25日

@Toper- What is common with the first four points is that those were hacks on the banks, not Credit Card fraud.

On Nov 23rd, you asked "Why isn't the same true of a bank?", and I was asking that it is true of banks that they are getting hacked as well.

On top of direct hacks against Banks and their SWIFT network is the attacks against Credit and Debit cards and their network.

Most networked computers are under attack, from your home system to the big banks. Tesla has been very good about patching holes in their code as they are discovered. The over-the-air update system cuts the time drastically as the car does not have to go visit a dealer in most cases.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年11月27日

God. Again? Damn.