Forums

Which electric car will history view as most important?

Which electric car will history view as most important?

Orland | 2016年11月24日

Agreed - but also since history looks at the past and "present", I would have actually thought the EV-1 would make the cut at or around 2nd place.

Not because it was sexy, speedy, or technologically advanced, but that it proved it could be done and was a decent vehicle for it's time. Just wasn't given enough consideration by it's manufacturer.

bernard.holbrook | 2016年11月24日

I think to Tesla S was the correct choice. It was the car that broke the idea that electric car were golf-carts.

David N | 2016年11月24日

Its obvious to me, even without the poll.
Model S.

Bighorn | 2016年11月24日

Model S broke the glass ceiling.

tstolz | 2016年11月25日

Yup - MS

jamilworm | 2016年11月25日

I think the Model S is probably the right choice.

@orland.carter, I agree that the EV-1 should be a contender, but it wasn't an option in that poll. "Of the four choices we offered...".

In my opinion the poll choices were pretty dumb. First, the EV-1 should have been an option. Second, why on earth would anyone think the BMW i-3 is the most important?? Is there anything about it that was more ground breaking than the leaf? I don't know why it was included in the poll.

mntlvr23 | 2016年11月25日

Over the long term, I would think it will be the Model 3, as that will be the one that breaks the door down and forces the changes that will come to the other auto makers and eventually will change the world.

Haggy | 2016年11月25日

If it gets to the point that the Model 3 becomes ubiquitous and spurs the widespread deployment of EVs, one might be able to make the case that the Model 3 was of fundamental importance. But you can't overlook the fact that the Model S was necessary to get a record number of people to reserve the Model 3 sight unseen, and a record number to reserve it without seeing it in person and before test driving it.

Efontana | 2016年11月25日

It is not one car. It is one company. Tesla.

Rocky_H | 2016年11月25日

Now this is just weird, because I swear I voted in this poll but the answer choices were different. I saw this exact question show up on an item in my Facebook feed, so I clicked on it, and I don't remember what website it was, but the three choices it had were:
Nissan Leaf
Tesla Model S
GM EV-1

Those are the choices that would make sense, because of their main claims to fame. EV-1 was the first decently known modern electric vehicle made by a big name car maker. Leaf was the first big volume electric car that was made for multiple years. And Model S was the first long range electric car that was very high volume and was more than just an in-town car.

But I see from the link on this one:
"When we asked our Twitter followers [...]"
I don't do Twitter, so that must have been a different survey with that exact same question. The i3 has no business even being in that poll.

jamilworm | 2016年11月26日

@Haggy, I understand what you're saying, but then with that same logic wouldn't the Roadster be the most important because it laid the groundwork for the S, which laid the groundwork for the 3?

Haggy | 2016年11月26日

I thought about how the logic applied to the Roadster, but there's a difference. When the Roadster came out, I knew what Tesla (the company) was but wouldn't have been able to name what model car(s) they made or identify one on the road. It might have given the company a boost, but that was more a financial consideration. Had somebody simply plopped down a few billion dollars, the same thing would have been accomplished. The Roadster helped Tesla learn from their mistakes and learn from what they got right, but it wasn't because people heard so many things about the Roadster that they got the Model S. It is because they heard so many things about the Model S that they reserved the Model 3. Literally, the car got more orders than any car in history sight unseen based on what Tesla did with the Model S.

Last week, I saw only one Roadster on the road. Most weeks I don't see any. I also tried looking at traffic on the other side of the freeway to see if I could count to 60 without a Model S passing in the opposite direction. I couldn't. I might have noticed under a dozen Roadsters or less outside of Tesla property in my life.

KP in NPT | 2016年11月26日

I agree that it's the S and not the Roadster. The Roadster was important for the S - but the S is what got people to think of an EV as an everyday car that could replace all ICE in their households (there are many 2 Tesla families), that got people to spend more than they ever had on a car, and that beat all ICE in its size class. (Mercedes, Audi, BMW.) And of course that it is making the Model 3 possible.

jamilworm | 2016年11月26日

@Haggy I completely understand, I just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

@mp, I think if the S is the most important then it is for the reason you listed, not for anything related to the 3.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年11月27日

With my luck, probably something that wears a Porsche badge.

Octagondd | 2016年11月28日

Of the list given, Model S, but if I were to venture a guess at what the history books will say 100 years from now? Model ≡ will be the most significant because of volume and cost, just as Model T was significant due to volume and cost.

Frank99 | 2016年11月28日

The Model T is the most significant Car in history, due to the low cost, popularity, and innovative production techniques that allowed Ford to build cars in quantities that were unimaginable prior to the Model T. Of course, few remember the Models A, B, C, F, K, N, R, and S that came before the T.
The Model 3 will be the most significant EV in history for many of the same reasons. No matter how much debt the 3 owes the S and the Roadster, just the sheer numbers of Model 3s that are going to be produced over the next 10 years will cement it's place in history.

But that's just my humble opinion.

andy.connor.e | 2016年11月29日

The first electric car that the company producing it has put 100% of their efforts into to make it successful. As a NOW example, GM does not believe in their electric car as a "market takeover" vehicle. Tesla does. Doesnt matter who made the first one if the company produced it with zero intentions to produce it to be extremely successful.