Forums

Supercharger locations

Supercharger locations

Why are there no supercharger stations in Seattle or Bellevue, WA?

Dramsey | 2016年11月29日

I think you might be misunderstanding the rationale of superchargers. The idea is to provide power for highway road trips, not local use-- it's expected that most owners will simply charge the car at home.

The charging map reveals that there are superchargers on north and south Highway 5 and east Highway 90, all leading out of Seattle. Looks pretty good to me.

Rocky_H | 2016年11月29日

I think the clearest example of that placement @Dramsey mentioned was in the Texas triangle. If you look at the map at www.supercharge.info, you can see it.

There are a couple of new ones since then, but originally, there were none in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. But there were 5 Superchargers outside of those cities, along the three interstate highways that connect those cities in a triangle. So you could very easily travel between those cities, but while living or staying overnight in those cities, you were supposed to find other charging.

DTsea | 2016年11月29日

OP is ABSOLUTELY right. if you leave Ellensburg westbound over the mountains, the I-5 superchargers at Centralia (south) and Burlington (north) are unreachable. with typical west winds in the winter it takes about 180 rated miles just to reach Seattle..... you cant continue your trip north or south without a multi hour level 2 charging stop.

DTsea | 2016年11月29日

dramsey it is fine if your trip starts or ends in seattle. but I90 is the only supercharger route over the mountains and you cant drive, say, yakima to bellingham without an overnight in today's arrangement. a supercharger in Issaquah (well out of convenient local use) would solve this.

jordanrichard | 2016年11月29日

DTsea, the OP and I guess yourself are just assuming that Tesla is finished with the supercharger network. That the supercharger team is no loner around and what we have is all we are getting.

It was seemingly just yesterday that TX was a supercharger waste land and now look at it.

sosmerc | 2016年11月29日

It is clear that "range anxiety" is still the #1 issue for many of us that travel more than 250 mile one way routes. Until there are either ALOT more supercharging sites available and/or much larger or more powerful battery packs available, some potential BEV buyers will be sitting on the sidelines waiting. It does seem like BEV development is moving forward and getting more attention. It can't happen soon enough for me and I look forward to someday being able to upgrade my mode of transportation (before I am too old to drive anymore!!)

Octagondd | 2016年11月29日

The Tesla Supercharger map has a future SC in Seattle if you click the 2016 tab. Supercharge.info does not have it listed as even to the permit stage, so it may not actually be online in 2016, but I imagine it will be online in early 2017.

DTsea | 2016年11月29日

not assuming that. just saying a SC at or near I90/I405 jn is needed.

Rocky_H | 2016年11月29日

Granted the ones closest to Seattle area really far away from it, and it is tough getting through from one side to another, or coming in on I-90 and branching off to I-5. Here is a big discussion on this:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1679488/

vperl | 2016年11月29日

I foresee Rawlins, WY and other Superchargers on I 80..... But that route has been discussed .

For sure will be done on I 80 west of Lincoln, NB ......

jordanrichard | 2016年11月30日

sosmerc, it's only an issue for those that live in areas where the density is just not there yet. Here on the East coast, I think the largest distance between superchargers is 150 miles.

2 1/2 years ago when I took delivery of my car, in ALL of New England, there were only 3 supercharger locations, now there are 16. Give it time, the supercharger network is not a finished product.

sosmerc | 2016年11月30日

I understand it is going to take time. And I wonder how having to pay at charging facilities is going to affect the process? Will we have competition for our business similar to gas stations? It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next 5-10 years.

milesbb | 2016年12月1日

Greater Seattle is loaded with chademo chargers, these can bridge the Supercharger gaps if you have a chademo adapter.

jordanrichard | 2016年12月1日

sosmerc, from what we know about Tesla's new policy to charge people, beyond the allotted annual 400 kwh, it will be billed to your Tesla acct. So it won't be like say Chargepoint where you have to get out a card and press it against the charging stall, wait for it to recognize your info and release the handle. Tesla's systems won't in any way change the convenience of charging at a supercharger.

Some gas station chains have already seen the light, like Sheetz (chain in the South east) They have an agreement with Tesla to put superchargers at some of their locations. If a gas station owner/developer was smart they would get with Tesla, Chargepoint, Blink etc and set up a wall of chargers for EVs. It's all about setting one's self apart form the competition. How better to stand out than have all types of "fuel" available. Electric, diesel and gas. Since gas station owners claim that they don't really make money on the gas, but on the food/drink you buy inside, why not draw in customers who will be there for say 30 mins, versus the guy in his Honda who may or may not going inside. If he does go inside, it will be super quick. An EV owner might buy a paper to read, order up a sandwich and a drink, etc.

At least in the U.S. "one stop" shopping is what people want. So why not make the local gas station into a one stop for all vehicles.

sosmerc | 2016年12月1日

At least in the U.S. "one stop" shopping is what people want. So why not make the local gas station into a one stop for all vehicles.

It might get a little "crowded", but I like the idea of one stop shopping and it does make sense the BEV customers are likely to spend more time in the store and thus may be more profitable than gas and diesel customers.

vperl | 2016年12月1日

Next SUPERCHARGER on Interstate 10 is being permitted at Fort Stockton, Tx

Hotel is the location on permit .

Contacted the city permit person 10:30 am today

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fstfi-fairfield-inn-and-suites-for...

SamO | 2016年12月1日

Please notify @BlueShift at supercharge.info

vperl | 2016年12月1日

Done hour ago

stojanche.nasev | 2016年12月1日

Is this something serious, what kind of impact these automakers can really make on Tesla?
http://www.carsdistrict.com/possible-mercedes-bmw-ford-vw-joint-venture-...

Al1 | 2016年12月1日

There is big difference between network active now and plans. Tesla may well more than double its network in next three years.

Not only Tesla has network today, it has also cars to use the network for charging also today.

Let's wait and see. And hope it works out, rather than prove another talk shop. Either way, I don't see how this can prevent Tesla cars from charging at those stations.

Al1 | 2016年12月1日

Glad to see less and less white spots on supercharger map.

Al1 | 2016年12月1日

Would be great to reach 350 active stations before year end. Go Tesla!

jordanrichard | 2016年12月2日

stojanche.nasev, it's all talk until the shovels go in the ground. I am sure many people thought Tesla was all talk when they first proposed the supercharger network. Of course quickly the network started to appear.

Rocky_H | 2016年12月2日

Yeah, I have learned to not trust EV-related announcements ever since the Audi e-tron was about to come out any time now for what, the last 8 or 10 years?

markvallaster | 2016年12月2日

Today, my wife charged at the new Warsaw, NC supercharger and went into the hotel (an old Quality Inn) to use the restroom. The owner told her to leave and never come back when she asked if MS owners can use their bathroom while charging. He was exceptionally rude and even scared her a bit.

The hotel is a dump with trash and beer cans everywhere. I wrote to telsa about it and waiting to hear back. I'm going to post pictures in other forums.