Forums

how to do a roadtrip in a Roadster?

how to do a roadtrip in a Roadster?

The Tesla Roadster is my dream car. I have one reservation... how does one do a roadtrip without using the Supercharger recharging stations? What are the alternatives and how long does it take to recharge at a non-Supercharger location?

BIll

Don Schmidt | 2017年2月11日

Maybe the app, Plugshare may be of some use. It would depend on the type of cable connector needed with the Roadster.

Don
Vancouver, WA

william.hein.co | 2017年2月11日

What is the typical charge time for the Roadster while using the type of recharging stations that are available?

Earl and Nagin ... | 2017年2月12日

Charging time depends on distance to next charging opportunity. Without Superchargers, the best place to charge is at RV parks that charge at 240volt/40amps so you'll charge at about 35 miles/hour. Public J-1772 chargers usually only charge at 208v/30a or less so you charge at about 25 miles/hour.
A few tips:
- Pack plenty of patience
- RV parks are often closed in winter (Labor Day to Memorial Day)
- Driving slowly gets you to your destination faster (the charge rate (35 or 25 mph is approximately the optimal driving speed)
- You can place a large water bottle between the seat backs
- You can stow jackets behind the head rests
- Use maps.google.com to search for "RV Parks" near desired charging locations
- Bring a UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) for Roadster. The most useful plugs are NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-15 the value of the rest varies.
- Make sure there are backup charging locations near each planned charging location
- Some RV parks rent out trailers to camp in. This is more convenient than hiking to a motel since motels seem to be located far from RV parks.
- Check back regularly to be sure your car is charging. Circuit breakers at RV parks tend to be old, worn, and sometimes blow right after you leave the area so you'll return to find your car hasn't charged. Once it has been charging for about an hour, the breaker probably won't blow. Move to a different site if the breaker blows.
- Plan to pay the RV park between about $0 and $30 to charge.

Rob | 2017年2月21日

From your post and replies, I assume the Roadster cannot connect to a SuperCharger, is that correct, and if so can a charging kit be retro fitted in any way? If not why not, if Tesla are encouraging the use of EV's

Rob | 2017年2月21日

From your post and replies, I assume the Roadster cannot connect to a SuperCharger, is that correct, and if so can a charging kit be retro fitted in any way? If not why not, if Tesla are encouraging the use of EV's

thomasdwest2 | 2017年2月23日

Earl hit it on the head!

- Plan RV parks along major highways every 150-180 miles. - Call ahead to make sure the parks will let you charge for 4-5 hours, which is the charge time on a 50A hookup.
- Make sure your Universal Mobile Connector (NEMA 14-50) is in good shape. I'd recommend even bringing a second one if possible as backup, depending on the trip size.
- Plan for $0-$30 charging fee depending on the kindness of the RV park.
- Regularly check on the charging status of your car.
- Most of all, have the time of your life. I was the first (to my knowledge) to travel from Dallas to Durango, CO and back in my Roadster 2.5 and it was the best two weeks of my life. I could pack chargers, a tiny tent, sleeping bag, pillow, and water + backpack all in the trunk with room for the soft top if I desired to remove it.
- I'd recommend an annual service (cleaning of the PEM & motor) beforehand, if it's nearing its time, especially on 2.0/2.5 cars, and to plan the trip in the spring or early fall. I did the entire 2,200 round trip + exploring in CO without a single fault. Car performed flawlessly.

eric.zucker | 2017年2月27日

Some guy came up with a CHAdeMO hack for the Roadster, allowing you to charge a bit faster - if you can find an open, operational and available CHAdeMO station:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMo-for-Tesla-Roadster-INTERESTED-OWN...

Failing this, the Roadster cannot fast charge, it's AC only. There are no plans from Tesla to add Supercharger compatibility to the Roadster, even with the R80 battery.

You really need to plug and charge every evening, and let it charge while you sleep. To charge in 10 hours an empty Roadster you need to find an outlet that will provide at least 25A at 240V.

Volts times Amps gives Watts. Divide by 1000 you get kiloWatts, or kW. Then multiply by the number of hours to get kWh. 25A*240V is 6000 W, or 6kW. Charge during 10 hours you get 60 kWh, enough to fill up the Roadster battery of 56 kWh. It's not totally linear as the battery charge rate slows as it fills up, but it's the general idea.

A 115V, 15A outlet gives 1.7 kW max, but only 1.4kW for a sustained load so it's over 40 hours for a full charge.

It is a dream car. Incredibly fun to drive, and it'll give you thrills like no other - as long as you've got juice.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2017年2月27日

Adding to @eric.zucker's comment on the CHAdeMO modification for the Roadster: The Roadster is not equipped with an HVAC unit that is as strong as the Model S. Therefore, it may have to slow down the charge rate in high ambient temperatures, even with 30 amp charging. While I've never used a CHAdeMO modification, I would assume you still will need to plan for 3 hours or more to charge in the summer. You'll just have more options with the CHAdeMO modification.