Forums

Will Model 3 Maintenance Fee Stays Over $600??

Will Model 3 Maintenance Fee Stays Over $600??

I am trying to understand why is the maintenance annual fee so high? The Chevy Bolt does not have such needed annual maintenance.

Quinten | 2017年2月13日

Sorry I made this new thread. I keep getting blocked but this seem to let me make one now. Admin please remove this thread, thank you.

lilbean | 2017年2月13日

You can delete it yourself. Click edit at the top left then delete.

jordanrichard | 2017年2月14日

First off, no one knows anything about the M3. Second, who said the annual maintenance you are referring to for a Tesla is required?

Bighorn | 2017年2月14日

Service fee is $400 for years one and three and more for years where more extensive maintenance is required.

andy.connor.e | 2017年2月14日

Anyone can service your vehicle.

Quinten | 2017年2月14日

I guess from the updated website on their Maintenance Plans the Model 3 will for sure be cheaper.
https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans

dsvick | 2017年2月14日

"I guess from the updated website on their Maintenance Plans the Model 3 will for sure be cheaper"

Those look like the same prices they have been. How do you infer that the Model 3 plans will be cheaper?

Quinten | 2017年2月14日

Just in comparing the different models and if it AWD or FWD.

KP in NPT | 2017年2月14日

@andy that is not true for S/X. I believe it will void warranty. Tesla does service, authorized shops do body repairs. the only thing we have done outside of Tesla is tire rotation. I am hoping that changes with the 3, but it will take time, require authorized shops I'd assume.

slasher0016 | 2017年2月14日

The maintenance is not required and DOES NOT void warranty. Tesla has made that clear.

david.jones24 | 2017年2月14日

Eagles,

Seriously, just stop. These troll attempts are so, so old.

andy.connor.e | 2017年2月15日

@KP

Well that would be unfortunate. I dont want to have to drive 2 hours out and 2 hours back every time i need a service.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月15日

slasher0016 advised, "The maintenance is not required and DOES NOT void warranty. Tesla has made that clear."

Correctomundo!

Besides, there is this thing called the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) that protects Consumers from such measures. I'm pretty sure that Tesla's lawyers are fully aware of this provision:

Q. Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

A. No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maint...

[ The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the nation’s consumer protection agency. The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace. ]

KP in NPT | 2017年2月15日

@andy, that is what current owners do now. My SC is 1:15 away. That said, I have had to go 3 times - 2 annual services, and one return for a warranty repair after waiting for the part. Remember, much less maintenance overall compared to an ICE car.

That said, everyone, including my SC, expects added SCs in response to model 3. I asked my SC if there were any rumors regarding something in my area - and while he couldn't give me a definite answer, did say Tesla is very aware of where concentrations of owners are, and have plans to react.

This corroborates what has been said in the past - EM stated they planned on expanding both service centers and superchargers to coincide with the model 3.

dsvick | 2017年2月15日

@Eagles - "Telsa is selling a $44,200 car for $36,200"

Sounds like a great deal, they'll probably sell a lot of them. Of course, it's Tesla doing the selling, not Telsa.

jordanrichard | 2017年2月15日

Any garage can do tire rotations, brake fluid changes and cabin filter changes (which you can do yourself too). My question is about the coolant for the battery pack/DU. Does Tesla provide the service manuals for the car service industry, so that your car can indeed be serviced by an "independent mechanic" ?

stevenmaifert | 2017年2月16日

JR - Yes they do: https://service.teslamotors.com/ and you can get a 1 yr. subscription for a mere $3000.

jordanrichard | 2017年2月16日

$3,000......dam, if I hadn't bought that cup of coffee at Starbucks this morning................:-)

andy.connor.e | 2017年2月16日

I think thats the first time that i've realized what @EaglesPDX is saying, is actually correct.

It is a $44,200 car. All hardware installed (not necessarily activated). Lol, if everyone bought the base model with no options Tesla would tank.

Rocky_H | 2017年2月16日

@andy.connor--not quite true. You're falling for pigeon's assertion of cost=retail price. That's basically not ever the case with anything.

dsvick | 2017年2月16日

@Rocky_H - " You're falling for pigeon's assertion of cost=retail price. That's basically not ever the case with anything"

And consider also that he includes a completely WAG $1,200 delivery charge in there as well.

Haggy | 2017年2月16日

"It is a $44,200 car. All hardware installed (not necessarily activated). "

I guess that makes it a $44,200 car since we all know that software development is free. Unless I got that part wrong, and software development costs are huge, but the hardware is cheap, then it makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, there have been estimates that the ultrasonic sensors cost about $15-$20, the radar unit costs about $125-$150 and the camera costs about the same as the radar unit. That might be around $400 worth of hardware, about $300 of which is necessary for lane departure warning, automatic emergency braking, blind spot detection, etc. Tesla might be able to get away with fewer ultrasonic sensors for non AP cars, so they might be investing a whopping $100 extra just in case somebody orders autopilot. They could probably get away with a cheaper computer, but the cost of separate programming for the basic functions, depending on which computer is used, would not be cost effective. Other sensors and GPS would be needed anyway for navigation.

If anybody wants to argue that most of the cost of autopilot and FSD is software development, which is why Tesla has large teams of people working on it long past when the hardware is ready, that might be an interesting argument. But then how would you explain that it's a $44,200 car for $35,000? Well, there's the part about Tesla never saying it will be.

You'd also have to wonder how Subaru could sell the Legacy for $26,000 with all the hardware needed for the safety features if they are $9,200 features.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月18日

Well, the BMW 340i has a base price of $47,900 currently, and the $35,000 base version of Model ☰ will probably be able to blow its doors off in my estimation... So the Tesla would still be a bargain even if it somehow cost this mythical $44,200 amount that the [IGNORED] has extracted from his sphincter.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月18日

Pidgeon-Poo: Just how do you come up with such in-depth data to analyze and distribute in such a stinky, milky white manner?

Tiebreaker | 2017年2月18日

Holly Molly, Pigeon!

Rocky_H | 2017年2月18日

Flag day came early!

KP in NPT | 2017年2月19日

I was happy to administer the final flag.

akgolf | 2017年2月19日

:)

akgolf | 2017年2月19日

Thanks in advance for the flags!

Tiebreaker | 2017年2月20日

PDX, sorry to tell you, but nothing you post is reasonable.

KP in NPT | 2017年2月20日

He knows. He wears his Troll badge proudly.

KP in NPT | 2017年2月20日

Final flag again! ;-)

dsvick | 2017年2月20日

Thanks KP - you're our heroine!!

rsvalesen | 2017年2月24日

I need to talk to my mechanic if he plans on servicing EV's in general. I believe the maintenance contracts are how Tesla will make their revenues. The cars dont make much by themselves - its the options and maintenance that should increase revenues. It better, they owe a small fortune on a decent gamble.