Forums

Garage Door Opener

Garage Door Opener

I'm getting a new garage door opener , what will work on these car's , I don't want, a remote on the visor any more.

Does MyQ Liftmaster work on the model S , does anyone have info on the model 3.

Thanks everyone

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月19日

Find out if your garage door opener is compatible with HomeLink.

Hmmm... Apparently the HomeLink system is from Liftmaster, so you are probably golden.

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/homelink

patrick40363 | 2017年2月19日

My q works fine. I just installed 3 of them so I could control the doors on the web. Mine are the 8550W which also have the back-up battery.

Shesmyne2 | 2017年2月19日

We have Liftmaster too-no issues.

Still Grinning ;-)

SoFlaModel3 | 2017年2月19日

I have a MyQ with HomeLink and it works great. The app is also easy when in need.

SoFlaModel3 | 2017年2月19日

I have a MyQ with HomeLink and it works great. The app is also easy when in need.

jordanrichard | 2017年2月20日

I have a standard Craftsman brand garage door opener and it works fine with my MS.

TeslaTap.com | 2017年2月20日

Very rare to find any issues with openers in the USA. All bets off in Australia - HomeLink doesn't support their standards.

Bersus | 2017年2月20日

what the hell... if i live outside the US i have no chance to get this to work?
no t even if i wire this stuff to my door opener... i mean, i wired my garage door opener to my domotic system and it worked just fine..

TeslaTap.com | 2017年2月20日

@Bersus - Australia is an issue for all car makers. I think all North-America and Europe have no issues. If you have a car with Homelink that works today in your locale, the Tesla will work fine too.

Haggy | 2017年2月20日

Liftmaster, Chamberlain and Craftsman are the most common in the US, and all made by the same company. I've had others such as a Wayne Dalton that was a Liftmaster under the hood. It Would be unlikely that any modern garage door opener in the US wouldn't work with Homelink, but it can't hurt to check online. Older units will probably work too, including pre-rolling code models. I have a gate with a remote and the technology is probably three decades old. It works fine.

Not only are the openers I mentioned similar, every car I've had this century has had a Homelink chip behind the scenes. So compatibility is a big issue because if a manufacturer makes an opener that's not compatible, it will lose business. Homelink has patents that make it hard for others to compete with their own chip designs, and it's probably more cost effective anyway to simply buy the chip. After all, Tesla gets plenty of other parts from suppliers. That makes it unlikely at both ends that you'd end up with something incompatible in the US.

As for Australia, what can I say?

andy.connor.e | 2017年2月21日

Garage door opener on your sun visor is a big issue? Life is getting harder each day.

Bersus | 2017年2月21日

i'm from Italy and my door opener is from a manufacturer you've never heard of... to be honest it's from a manufacturer i've never heard of... i was interested because of summon, not because of buttons in visor really.

TeslaTap.com | 2017年2月21日

@Bersus - Ok, I can see the risk. If you don't have homelink in your car now, do you have a friend that does have it (any car, doesn't need to be a Tesla). If so, go through the programing steps (maybe 10 minutes) with Homelink. If it works, you're home free! As a total WAG, I'd give it a 95% chance of working fine. Of course you could wait until your Tesla arrives too! Good luck!

Haggy | 2017年2月21日

Worst case scenario for many people is that the opener itself has terminals on it with wires that come from a wall button. There are aftermarket transceivers that can be connected to those terminals if you have an incompatible opener.

PhillyGal | 2017年2月22日

Our garage door opener is a dinky, crappy, 30 year old thing and it works fine with the Tesla.
Barely works at all with its own visor-clipped remotes.

Bersus | 2017年2月22日

@TeslaTap.com first thing first i won't even bother to look for (import?) a Homelink… thing at least until i confirmed my reservation.

@Haggy as a matter of fact i'm counting on that

@PhillyGal i'm counting on that even more!