Forums

CA 35mph (st.) & 65mph (fwy) Speed Limit ✔

CA 35mph (st.) & 65mph (fwy) Speed Limit ✔

Do we really need a "0 to 60 3.2sec AWD 165mph plus top speed" M3 demon?

*Average speed traffic in LA is 20mph (101fwy) go over 70mph (710fwy) and you are asking for a speeding ticket, go over 80mph and you are putting other people's safety at risk.*

TheChad | 2017年4月2日

You're so right. Especially since the whole world revolves around LA and NYC. How myopic of you. I live just outside of D.C. It can take me 2+ hours to go 30 miles into the city. On the other hand if I head west it has open roads and rolling hills that will be so much fun to "open up" my M3 and have some real fun. Can't wai, but will.

Haggy | 2017年4月2日

A car that can accelerate that fast can move into the HOV lane easily when it's moving at 65 mph and the lane next to it is moving at 35 mph. It's helpful in heavy traffic. As soon as you move over, you are almost instantly up to speed.

If you live in LA and want to go on a road trip, the speed limit most of the way to Silicon Valley is 70.

carlk | 2017年4月2日

It's not really 0-60 but how fast you can accelerate to in the first 1~2 secs when you step on the pedal at any speed. That makes driving the car whole lot easier and much safer too. Try merging from the slow traffic into the fast lane with cars coming at you fast like I need to do everyday to get on the HOV lane and you'll know exactly what it means.

EaglesPDX | 2017年4月2日

I wouldn't be too hard on Tesla about the acceleration. It is just a function of electric motors having instant torque. Tesla has had fun with it but it's not like Tesla is sacrificing range in the base cars for acceleration. Tesla does offer acceleration options which, as you can see, do take away some range but overall the acceleration is a side effect.

Carl Thompson | 2017年4月2日

@TheChad

A lot of people have died or killed others because they wanted to "open up" on rolling hills and winding roads and "have some real fun!"

Carl

Carl Thompson | 2017年4月2日

Haggy
"A car that can accelerate that fast can move into the HOV lane easily when it's moving at 65 mph and the lane next to it is moving at 35 mph. It's helpful in heavy traffic. As soon as you move over, you are almost instantly up to speed."

Good point. I use my EV's acceleration to good effect that way too.

Carl

Red Sage ca us | 2017年4月2日

Haggy is correct. So is carlk.

OP: Yes. It is absolutely necessary that a version of Model 3 be able to reach and maintain a constant 300+ kph so as to utterly demolish Nürburgring times for BMW M3 GTS and M4 GTS.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

Nothing at all wrong with spirited driving on a closed course.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2017年4月2日

For me, the acceleration allows for safer driving. I test drove a Prius-C once and found its acceleration so poor, there would be no safe way to merge onto a high-speed highway, especially from a dead stop. It's all about control. You want the car to behave in a predictable manner. So if the M3 handles well with good acceleration, it's all good. I am worried that as a Pennsylvania driver, the RWD configuration is not a good choice for wintry weather because control and handling may be inadequate. I'm hoping the AWD option will be available in time to take advantage of the federal tax incentives and of course be affordable.

noleaf4me | 2017年4月2日

Need it -- no -- but really -- what do you really need in life???? Have some fun, man.

johnse | 2017年4月2日

I just went on a trip from Seattle to Phoenix for my daughter's wedding. We travelled via Idaho, Utah, and Nevada. Significant parts of the journey had speed limits of 85 mph.

Damntruckers | 2017年4月2日

Need? No.

Want? Uh, yeah!

JeffreyR | 2017年4月2日

My friend always said speed & quickness can get you into or out of trouble in a hurry. If you know the limits of your car getting out of trouble makes for a safer experience.

Frank99 | 2017年4月2日

"The Tesla's acceleration is just a fact of electric motor drives and their instant torque. Something all EV's have in common."

I've almost stopped laughing enough to be able to answer. Let's line up a Leaf, an I3, a Bolt, a Volt, a Prius, a Model S 60, and we'll see how much all these EV's have in common in relation to acceleration...

Bighorn | 2017年4月2日

@Frank
Tesla can do 0-100-0 in the time a Leaf gets to 60, but they're both pretty quick:)

akgolf | 2017年4月2日

I love the acceleration in my Leaf, but really looking forward to my Tesla.

Brian B | 2017年4月2日

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of speed related accidents were actually caused by reckless or distracted driving. Speed in and of itself doesn't make it dangerous. It's when people do dumb things at high speeds. You can do dumb things at low speeds and still have an accident (and they do). It's just that doing dumb things at a faster speed doesn't give you time to react if you start paying attention too late.

Frank99 | 2017年4月2日

Well, Car And Driver lists them as:
Leaf 10.4 s
I3 7.0 s
Bolt 6.5 s
Volt 7.5 s
Prius 10.5 s
Model S 60 - 5.0 s
Model S P100DL (silly comparison; never mind).

So none of them other than the Bolt and the Tesla will beat a Honda Civic crapmobile @6.8s. So much for all EV's having acceleration in common...

Freeways were designed by some very smart people. Clover leaf onramps in particular are a marvel of civil engineering. Unfortunately... Some idiot had the wise idea to 'improve' traffic on the freeways throughout Los Angeles County by placing signal lights somewhere between the last third and last quarter of the onramps. So, rather than having the full length of the onramp to achieve full freeway speeds, cars must now come to a complete stop, idling the motor, then gun the heck out of the engine, burning more fuel and expelling even more noxious fumes, while whipping the car into a frenzy over a much shorter distance than originally intended. Luckily, a properly built electric car has no problem matching and surpassing freeway speeds to merge into and through traffic in those unfortunate situations.

Speed is life. Quickness is the spice of life. Drive electric. Tesla.

Most fatal accidents take place at less than 40 MPH and within two miles of the starting point or destination. Those accidents most often take place during emotional distress, inclement weather, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or when the driver is fatigued. Because of these facts, it astounds me that so many speak out against safety systems such as Autopilot or Autonomous driving.

Because a computer is unlikely to get angry or sad or depressed. A computer will not choose to operate itself during unsafe road conditions. A computer isn't going to get high or drunk. Because a computer doesn't get sleepy or tired.

If Autopilot can take over from onramp to offramp, it is more likely the driver will reach their destination well rested. And in that situation they can be more attentive during the low speed operations that seem to be most dangerous for humans. And, once fully Autonomous vehicles are available, humans can sleep off their issues during transit without being bothered by the pesky particulars of paying attention to the road.

EaglesPDX | 2017年4月2日

"Speed in and of itself doesn't make it dangerous."

It does actually as the stats from the oil shock days going to 55 greatly reduced accidents'

COrich | 2017年4月3日

You need the acceleration for passing on 2-lane highways in the mountains here in Colorado.

Montana, Wyoming and Utah have 80 mph speed limits on the interstates. Nevada is considering 85 on I15.

The max speed is a marketing number to impress those who are interested (anybody in Europe who regularly drives the autobahn for example).

Remember that the target customer is not just located in California.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年4月3日

Actually, accelerating rapidly to a speed limit does use more energy in a non-obvious way. Suppose you start at point A and accelerate to the speed limit V and then continue at V to point B, you acquire the same kinetic energy no matter how quickly you accelerate to V = .5 times V squared. You use the same energy to overcome rolling friction which is essentially independent of speed but you use a lot more energy overcoming air friction because the faster you get to V, the longer you will be at the speed limit with maximum air friction that is proportional to V squared.

Florida has no speed limits apparently. At least I haven't noticed anyone being pulled over for speeding and some people drive really fast. There are signs that say speed limit on them but that must just be a suggestion.🏎 🚓

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年4月3日

Oops .5 times mass times V squared...😓

Red Sage ca us | 2017年4月3日

Apparently, people believe the signs on the 405 FWY marked 'SPEED LIMIT 65' actually read 'MAXIMUM SPEED 0' during many parts of the day in Los Angeles...

KP in NPT | 2017年4月3日

George I continue being jealous of your ability to post emoticons.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年4月4日

Is that what those pesky things are called? I'm trying to learn a new language called Emoji, I think. But I'm not quite getting it. Look out for the train! 🚆

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年4月4日

JR said: "My friend always said speed & quickness can get you into or out of trouble in a hurry...."

"These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it."

- Donald Sutherland as 'Oddball', Kelly's Heroes

George said: "There are signs that say speed limit on them but that must just be a suggestion."

David Letterman, when he was getting a rash of speeding tickets driving himself to work every day, referred to them as 'guidelines'.

KP, Shhhh. The primates will ban them.

Nexxus | 2017年4月5日

@George,

I think they're looking at the I95 signs, thinking that is the speed limit: 95. The white ones they just ignore.