Forums

EV Battery Performance and Longevity in Hot Climate

EV Battery Performance and Longevity in Hot Climate

Sorry to add another thread into an already-crowded forum, but...

Like many of you here, I am waiting for my M3 and try to anticipate "everything" (well, we have too much time waiting for the car anyway.)

From what I have gathered, extreme heat and humidity might affect Lithium-battery's capacity and performance, not to mention more juice may have to be spent on AC. Can any of MS or MX owners who live in Arizona, or Texas, or Florida please share your experience with us. Many thanks in advance.

MarylandS85 | 2017年7月20日

I don’t live in those areas (obviously, I live in Maryland, and I’m familiar with high 90s Fahrenheit with my Model S), but heat is not your enemy as much as cold. If you live in a hot climate, you will generally get very good battery performance. Those who experience cold winters are the ones who need to worry more about how it affects battery performance in the moment. Tesla does an excellent job of regulating the battery temperature to protect it from long-term degradation due to heat or cold.

A couple issues are relevant to hot weather, neither of them catastrophic:
1) Supercharging may be slightly slower when it’s super hot. I mean it might increase your charging time by 50% or so at most, in my experience (and usually not even that much).
2) While it’s off and parked, if it’s in a hot environment, the car will use more battery to keep the battery cool (and maybe the cabin cooler too, if you have overheat protection on, assuming the 3 has this option which is available on the S and X), what is referred to as "vampire drain." Parking in the shade or indoors helps limit this loss. I’m talking about losing 2-3% of the total battery capacity a day at most, compared to losing maybe 1% a day in cooler conditions. And this isn’t an issue if you’re plugged in.

Vhuynh | 2017年7月20日

Thank you MarylandS85, for sharing your experience and insights which are very helpful to me. One more question for you: Sounds I should have my Tesla plugged in while I am on vacation, huh? Or, would that reduce the battery useful life as well?

KP in NPT | 2017年7月20日

Depends on how long. I regularly leave mine unplugged for days - as long as it has enough charge when I leave it's no big deal, even in extreme hot/cold temps.Leaving plugged in does not adversely impact battery life though. Set to 80% and it will keep it there - and ready for you when you get home.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年7月20日

There is this quote, "A plugged in Tesla, is a happy Tesla." And this is a link to a discussion on the theme:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/plugged-tesla-happy-tesla

Yes. This has been discussed here before. Many times.

jdbeth | 2017年7月21日

Thanks to ReD eXile ms us for that link, I read through that and it was helpful for me as well, I live in Florida and have been wondering how the heat would affect the battery life and longevity as well.

SeaDoc | 2017年7月22日

I live in Palm Desert, CA where it is currently 120 - My S75D is better than my ICE cars when it comes to cooling the cabin - A/C works extremely quickly and it anticipates when I'm returning by keeping the cabin comfortable when I enter after an afternoon baking. I also got the sunshades for the roof and the back lift window which work great and look great on a black car... Battery life is also great, as I let her sleep as often as I can...

jordanrichard | 2017年7月23日

Humidity plays no part in this. As for hot climate, your battery "performs" better when it is hot. You can see this by going to the part of Tesla's site where you can put in different temps/speeds in, to see what the range will be. The range actually improves when the temp goes up to 110.

andy.connor.e | 2017年7月23日

Temperature, Number of cycles, and Duration of Time exposed to charging.
-Those 3 factors are the most significant in the longevity of your battery.

Some things to consider;
-Putting the peddle on the floor induces high current which brings the temperature of the cells up. "Flooring it" frequently can result in faster battery capacity degradation.
-Supercharging is extremely high current, and supercharging your car can result in faster battery capacity degradation.
-Lithium cell chemistry maximized battery longevity if charge level is typically kept between 20%-80%. Dont give your car a full charge unless you really need the range. This is probably the most significant for a 10-20 year period.
-Short trips in cold climate will be detrimental to your range. Energy spent heating the car is more significant than gasoline car, since the gasoline engine produces heat just to run. Whereas 100% of the energy in the battery goes to the motors. In this case, 100% is not going to the motors in order to raise the temperature of the battery, wires, motor, etc....

ALSO, What jordanrichard says about battery performance is true. The higher the temperature, the more energy you're able to get out of it. But remember that if the cell temperature goes up too high, thats when permanent damage to the cells capacity will take place over time.

And if someone wants to be technical and correct me, i am aware that 100% of the energy does not go into the motors due to losses and resistivity in the components. Its more like 85% after losses, but the point is that in an electric vehicle, the energy is going to torque. Whereas in an ICE vehicle, the gasoline is ignited, where the explosion pressure induces torque, but the thermal energy produced from that ignition does not go to torque and is expended heating the engine and oil.
Which in turn needs to be cooled which is even less efficient to make an engine that creates heat in order to induce torque, but is then reqired to be cooled as a response to the production of torque.

JayInJapan | 2017年7月23日

BMS FTW

Also if you want MS and MX owner advice, my suggestion is post this topic in those forum groups. I think its fair to say alot of us on the M3 forum do not even own a Tesla.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年7月23日

There are some who choose to suggest that the Tesla Model ☰ will not benefit from the battery management features that exist on Model S and Model X because those are 'high end bells and whistles' that might be held in reserve for the more expensive cars. I'd like to call [BOLSHEVIK] on that idea right here and now. The Model ☰ will benefit from Tesla not being run by stupid people. Everything that Tesla has found to improve the longevity and reliability and durability of their Generation II cars will be employed on their Generation III vehicles as well.

95dawg | 2017年7月23日

Don't forget sound generated is also wasted energy. ICE makes lots of noise. Thus the need for muffler and sound deadening material around the cabin and engine bay specifically for ICE noise. Yet another example of ICE inefficiency.

sosmerc | 2017年7月24日

Very good point on the need for muffler and sound deadening. My Volt is so much smoother and quieter when NOT running the gas engine. Pure BEV vehicles are so much quieter and smooth...it is the first thing one will notice when driving a BEV for the first time.