Forums

Sunday Distraction: Pop Quiz - Where was that HD Video shot on the login screen?

Sunday Distraction: Pop Quiz - Where was that HD Video shot on the login screen?

So we all get to see that beautiful full screen HD video of a Model X romping through the countryside when we login to the forum each day. Correct?

Where was that video shot?

Some of the terrain is reminiscent of Northern California, north of San Fransisco towards Jenner.

But there's that bridge. That's not California Mesu thinks. Oregon?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年7月23日

I don't know where. I figured a lot of it was in the vicinity of Calabasas or Pacific Palisades, though possibly off the beaten path in the Solvang or Santa Barbara area. Definitely looks like California to me, though sure, it could be Oregon or Washington, I guess.

Rutrow | 2017年7月23日

Looks like the spot near Napa where the Windows desktop photo was taken.

Rutrow | 2017年7月23日

Or could be New Zealand!

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年7月23日

"Looks like the spot near Napa where the Windows desktop photo was taken."

Yeah. I think that's where they shot the Teletubbies too.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年7月23日

"Or could be New Zealand!"

Negative. Kiwis drive on the wrong side of the road.

gavinfaulkner | 2017年7月23日

If they invert the picture? Driving on the left side of the road with a right hand drive vehicle means the driver sits closest to the centre line.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年7月24日

gavinfaulkner: At least one still photo of the Model S, Model X, and Model ☰ overlooking the ocean was found to be a horizontally 'flipped' image of the three cars, taken in a parking lot at 'photo op' spot along Pacific Coast Highway. I am not aware of any similarly altered promotional video though.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年7月24日

I watched the loop a few times and realized that the footage seems to be taken in 3 distinct locations, demarcated by 3 different colored vehicles.

The blue MX is seen in three consecutive shots, that if photographed in California, most fits in my mind as the Northern California coast, between Jenner and Ft. Bragg. Lots of open unpopulated space along that corridor.

The beach shot of the silver MX, if taken in California, might be at Pismo Beach (between Santa Barbara and San Francisco). I only say that because there are very few coastal beaches that allow vehicles, and Pismo is the only one I know of in central/northern Cali. I don't know SoCal beaches at all.

The shot with the white MX with the bridge in the background is a mystery. I know the US west coast and bridges fairly well, and I've never seen such a bridge. At first I thought it was this really cool bridge in Astoria Oregon, but it ain't. So maybe that is NZ. That car seems to be driving on the left. Maybe.

Rutrow | 2017年7月24日

Oh My Gawd!!! Y'all are NOT gonna believe this!!! I FOUND IT!!!

The opening shot taken from above the horse pasture was taken from about 2000' north of the intersection of Meyer Grade Rd and Pacific Coast Highway.

Coordinates: 38.483449˚N, 123.167547˚W

It's all there. The bent fence line, the barn, the power lines, the stones in the pasture, even the rocks off shore of Russian Gulch Beach.

Hell, the GoogleMaps satellite view even shows a glass roofed sedan (Tesla?!?) driving south at about the same spot.

So... Do I win a hat???

https://www.google com/maps/@38.4827598,-123.1678148,464a,35y,90h/data=!3m1!1e3

DUDE. Righteous find! Great detective work.

I see that it is Jenner. That road network would make a fantastic M3 road trip. I just made up my mind I'm gonna do it.

Does your find deserve a hat? It damn near does. I'll tell you what. If you find the other two locations -by whatever methods you choose to employ- I will personally drop ship you a Tesla hat of your choice.

Seriously. It will be a fun game.

95dawg | 2017年7月24日

I was pretty sure blue MX flyby shot was between Ragged Point Beach and San Simeon, but Rutrow is right.

Rutrow | 2017年7月24日

The reason the white MX looks like it's in New Zealand is that the video has been flipped horizontally in post production. That clip is taken from Treasure Island Rd., on the causeway between Yerba Buena and Treasure Island.

https://www.google com/maps/@37.8155482,-122.3710614,3a,60y,105.94h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svwLvWGDabxbRJ77162JrTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Rutrow | 2017年7月24日

The bridge is the new span of the East Bay Bridge.

Two down, one to go.

dawg: That was a damned good guess though. Very similar topography.

"The reason the white MX looks like it's in New Zealand is that the video has been flipped horizontally in post production. That clip is taken from Treasure Island Rd., on the causeway between Yerba Buena and Treasure Island."

Take this in to account too:
What appears to be the INSIDE white lane marker in a still shot of that footage is NOT a lane marker, but rather a shoulder marker. In a still you can see a very faint yellow dashed line, that the car seems to be straddling as it drives forward.

Either way you get the credit Detective Rutrow.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年7月24日

All I get when I log in is a B&W photo of a wheel hub...

Rutrow | 2017年7月24日

george don't log in, just go to tesla.com