Forums

Issues with my Tesla P100D delivery. Tesla please help make this right.

Issues with my Tesla P100D delivery. Tesla please help make this right.

I am posting this on this forum in hopes that someone at Tesla who cares about customer service and doing right by their customers reads this. I have tried dealing with the local service center and they are unwilling to make the situation right, that lead me to hire an attouney and I told him that I honestly do not want to proceed with a lawsuit but I was hopeful that he could speak to the Tesla legal department and get it resolved without litigation but he has tried for two weeks now and they will not return phone calls or emails. Next week he is going to have to take it to the next step and I really want to avoid all this. All I want is to get the new car I paid for, nothing more.

I ordered a P100D in late June, I signed all paperwork, paid what I had to pay, they took my car in on trade, and even had me put insurance on it before July 1st and the car was being shipped to my house from California. Honestly doing all that paperwork and paying and even putting insurance on it before you even get the car seemed odd and a little wrong since I was now already making payments on a car that I don't even have yet but that was the process. The car arrives at my house the second week of July and while it is still up on the flatbed I see issues and I tell the driver to leave it up there while I call the Dania Service Center who handled the delivery. I spoke to someone there about the issues and asked if I should send it back or take it. She told me to take it and to send her pictures so I had the driver drop the car off in my driveway, took the pictures, and put it in the garage.

First let me preface my description of the issues by saying that I am in the collision repair industry and own five collision repair centers in South Florida, so I know what I am looking at and know what it takes and how to fix the issues with the car. The car was completely covered in sand scratches from a DA. Someone wetsanded and buffed the car who was not qualified to do so. They were on every panel of the car and even the tail lights were scratched and need to be replaced. The car honestly looked like it was 5 years old and neglected but it was a new car with 5.2 miles on it. The only way to fix these sand scratches are to wet sand it again which I did not want done because it is going to remove more of the clear coat than has already been removed from when they did it the first time or repaint the car which I also did not want done. The trunk also had a dent on it. I can get into more details about the sand scratches and the issues with repairing them more and send photos if someone at Tesla wants to get back to me directly but they are so bad that they really cannot be repaired without repainting some panels.

The Dania Beach Service Center agreed from the pictures that it was very bad and agreed to take it back and get me a new car. They had it picked up the following week with the same 5.2 miles on it it had when they dropped it off and they ordered me another car. A few days after they called me and informed me that they just realized that my car had already been registered and she told me they could no longer take it back. I told her that they registered it in late June when I ordered it (no idea how she nor any of the managers at the service center didn’t know that if that is their process for new car delivery) and that the right thing to do is for them to figure out how to get me a new car because that is what I paid for but if I have absolutely no choice but to keep this one they have to give me a discount on the car. I wanted a discount on the car and I would handle repainting what needs to be repainted, repairing the rest of the paint, fixing the dent on the trunk, and replacing the tail lights. They called me back a few days later and told me "We cannot agree to your terms, what we can do for you is get this car as good as we can." I told her that wouldn't work for me and that I didn't pay $167,000 for a new car to get a car that that is "as good as they can get" and that will never be right and never be like a new car. I told her that I paid full price and I deserve a car that is like new not with damage and that needs to be painted and that if they are forcing me to take that one then I deserve a discount. She again said they could not and I said that I would have to explore other means to get this resolved.

Then I contacted an attorney and told him that I just want to get this resolved without litigation. I was hopeful that he would get in contact with someone higher up the chain of command, explain what happened to me and that they would obviously see how wrong it is and just get me another car but he has had no luck with really getting in contact with anyone. He says next week we have to take the next step and send certified letters so that they can't keep ignoring this. I really want to avoid all this, I just want I deserve. I paid for a new car and that's all I want. If that absolutely cannot be done I am willing to work something out with this car, give me a discount on it which will include the cost for me to repair it, reimburse me my payments for the two months that I have not had my car, and Tesla can wash their hands of this issue. I feel like I am being more than fair and I am only asking to get what I paid for. It is just not right that someone pays full price for a car sight unseen and one could get lucky and get a new car that looks like a new car should look or one could get one like mine with damage on every single panel, needs body work, and needs panels repainted. How can those two people pay the same thing for those cars and Tesla just ignore and avoid this obvious issue in their buying process.

DTsea | 2017年8月12日

Owner and enthusiast forum. Nobody at Tesla reads it.

SO | 2017年8月12日

Please escalate through Tesla service.

patrick40363 | 2017年8月12日

Why didn't you take delivery at a service center? How was your car registered before you took delivery?

carlk | 2017年8月12日

This is the wrong place to resolve your issue.

rxlawdude | 2017年8月12日

Who pays for a vehicle before delivery?

That's kind of an IQ test question.

Rocky_H | 2017年8月14日

@jimenezr34, I do think you're being reasonable and doing about the best course of action you can do. Proceed. As a couple of people mentioned, this forum isn't for contacting Tesla. It's just for people to talk about Tesla stuff, sorry.

@rxlawdude, Quote: "Who pays for a vehicle before delivery? That's kind of an IQ test question."

Huh? Me and you and everybody else. He said "paid what I had to pay,", not that paid the entire balance in full. They wouldn't even put my car on the truck from the Portland service center to begin delivery until the initial payment from my credit union was sent. And yes, I had to have insurance in effect just before delivery too.

rxlawdude | 2017年8月14日

@Rocky, not my experience at all. The check for the full amount was exchanged at vehicle pick up.

What would he have to pay except the full balance? He would have paid the $2500 long prior. I'm not sure what "initial payment from my credit union" means. Tesla's not in the "receiving incremental payments every month" business, and AFAIK requires payment in full prior to delivery.

The "prior to" is the sticking point, but consumers are unwise to pay in full for a vehicle that may not arrive for days or weeks later.

CA SCRMN | 2017年8月14日

Stories like this scare the crap out of me. I'm waiting on delivery of a P100D which is being sold to me as "new inventory" but has 5k miles on it. I am getting a nice discount because of this, but it worries me the kind of wear and tear that may already be on the car, and Tesla's unwillingness to ensure I get a car that looks new. For the price we pay for these vehicles we should be getting treated better. Hope my fears go unfounded.

lilbean | 2017年8月14日

I paid in full and waited over a week to get my car. Yes, there were issues but they were taken care of.

SO | 2017年8月14日

@CA SCRMN - remember, these issues are few and far between. We often only hear the negative. But Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction of any other vehicle manufacturer out there currently. So don't worry. Even if there are issues, Tesla will resolve them.

SamO | 2017年8月14日

@CA SCRMN,

Tesla IS willing to ensure you and OP get a car that looks new.

OP wrote "The only way to fix these sand scratches are to wet sand it again which I did not want done because it is going to remove more of the clear coat than has already been removed from when they did it the first time OR repaint the car which I also did not want done but if I have absolutely no choice but to keep this one they have to give me a discount on the car. I wanted a discount on the car and I WOULD HANDLE REPAINTING what needs to be repainted, repairing the rest of the paint, fixing the dent on the trunk, and replacing the tail lights.

OP owns 5 collision repair centers in Florida. He can make this car PERFECT. Ask any of his past thousands of customers. :-)

He's just arguing with Tesla on how much discount he gets.

SamO | 2017年8月14日

By the way, OP. How much discount did you ask from Tesla for your $167k car?

reed_lewis | 2017年8月14日

I agree with the OP. He should receive a brand new car in perfect condition. Anyone who disagrees with that is a Tesla apologist or fanboy.

KP in NPT | 2017年8月14日

Surely someone here has the username for that service guy that posts on TMC? Maybe he should be contacted.

rxlawdude | 2017年8月14日

@bean, "I paid in full and waited over a week to get my car."

You mean you went to get the car and noticed issues that required a week to resolve, or did Tesla say, "your car is a week away, now pay us NOW!"?

Rocky_H | 2017年8月14日

@rxlawdude, I just checked back on my emails at that time, and I did have something a little off. It was full funding, not partial payment.

Quote: "@Rocky, not my experience at all. The check for the full amount was exchanged at vehicle pick up."

Well good for you, that you got to receive your car at a Tesla site. My nearest Tesla site was 430 miles away, so there wasn't this simultaneous exchange thing.

Quote: "What would he have to pay except the full balance? He would have paid the $2500 long prior. I'm not sure what "initial payment from my credit union" means. Tesla's not in the "receiving incremental payments every month" business, and AFAIK requires payment in full prior to delivery.

The "prior to" is the sticking point, but consumers are unwise to pay in full for a vehicle that may not arrive for days or weeks later."

Yes, I was kind of stuck in a Catch-22 situation. My car was going to be in transit on a car hauler for about two days to get to me. Tesla did not want to load it on the truck without payment first. My credit union requires having one of their people do a physical inspection to confirm the VIN before they will release funds. I was having to push and pull on both sides to try to get someone to make an exception. In the end, I was able to get both sides to make an exception. Tesla released the car to go on the transport truck if they got a picture of the check and tracking number emailed to them as proof enough it was on the way, and my credit union sent that without inspecting the VIN on the car and said I would need to bring it in when I received it for them to do that afterward.

Anyway, as to initial car condition, I do see a bit of difference of things that are some mechanical fix, so that it really can be like new. For instance my door handle auto-presenting not working just needed a wiring harness in the door replaced, and it really was like new. I accept those kinds of corrections, where you replace something with an identical working part to get it fixed. But something that would need dent repair or repainting is pretty hard to accept as really being new.

rxlawdude | 2017年8月14日

@Rocky, in that particular situation (having car delivered), it makes sense. Once loaded onto the truck, you own it. Just like once you drive off the lot, you own it.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that arrangement, but it's understandable many are.

SamO | 2017年8月14日

@reed_lewis,

I agree that Tesla should replace the car IF OP is perfectly honest about condition. I'd want a new car. On the other hand, I'd let Tesla "make it right" in some other way with extended warranty or service over a period of year.

OP has a great car and the ability to make it perfect.

SamO | 2017年8月14日

years.

kaffine | 2017年8月17日

Do you know how many new cars get repaired before they are sold and the buyer never knows? Normal dealer lots are really cramped with cars they get scratches and dents frequently. Dealer normally takes car of the repair before the customer sees the car.

To the OP it sounds like Tesla has offered to repair the car and you are refusing it. You seem to want the discount and then have your employees fix the car for you so you can pocket the money. If you know you are that picky about how the paint is on a car why did you buy the car sight unseen?

JayInJapan | 2017年8月17日

@rxlawdude, I was asked a week before delivery to pay in full. I made the required bank transfer when I was asked, several days before my car even left the SvC. My few issues were taken care of by a ranger a couple of months later.

fred.cannataro | 2017年8月18日

Tesla is not winning friends with their service and attendant insurance rates for body related issues. i just cancelled my s 100D order and surrendered 2500.00 to them because of it. 3100.00 /yr for insurance premiums and poor service history discouraged me from joining "the mission". Caveat Emptor.

Mike83 | 2017年8月18日

Pants on Fire

SO | 2017年8月18日

Ok Fred. Goodbye.

lilbean | 2017年8月19日

rxlawdude | August 14, 2017
@bean, "I paid in full and waited over a week to get my car."

You mean you went to get the car and noticed issues that required a week to resolve, or did Tesla say, "your car is a week away, now pay us NOW!"?

@lawdude, choice B. I paid and never rode in a Tesla before that. The car was delivered to my home and I saw it for the first time over a week after I paid for it.

J.T. | 2017年8月19日

In NY my auto insurance for my Model S, an A6 and a 4Runner combined is $3400/yr.

How's your driving record?

rxlawdude | 2017年8月19日

@lil, @Jay, for those getting a car delivered, obviously the truck driver would not be competent to handle the paperwork at the delivery site, so yeah, that's an exception where it's reasonable to have to pay in advance.

But for a pickup at the delivery center? Why? Why? Why? would anyone pay in full before seeing/inspecting?

jimenezr34 | 2017年8月19日

Im not sure what is going on when I post that they are not showing up. I'm trying for a third time now. So after posting here and on another forum I got ahold of Jon McNeill and he right away got someone in contact with me to buy the car back from me and order me a new one. It was very frustrating that it took so long to get resolved but I am very pleased that once I got ahold of the right people they stepped up and took care of it right away. I am very much looking forward to taking delivery of my new car.

bucfan11 | 2017年8月19日

jimenezr34 - That's great news!

Tropopause | 2017年8月19日

Another satisfied customer.

lilbean | 2017年8月19日

Actually, I was going to pick the car up at the service center. I wanted to pay early so I could get rid of my minivan that I was trading in.

jordanrichard | 2017年8月20日

There is are situations where payment in full prior to delivery has to be done. I had to do that in 2014, here in CT. CT didn't then or still now, doesn't have a license to sell here. So exchanging money at the time of delivery would constitute as a sale. So the money was wired to Tesla the day prior.

rxlawdude | 2017年8月20日

Color me a cloistered California (and commercial customs thereof) boy. ;-)

Rocky_H | 2017年8月22日

Good to acknowledge the coastal colored glasses and realize that everyone doesn't have your situation.

I am still gloating a little bit now that the Supercharger shoe is on the other foot though. A couple of years ago, those privileged Californians had choices of Superchargers while we did none. Now, they have not enough capacity while we have plenty.

lilbean | 2017年8月22日

Just mentioning you don't live in California is gloating enough. :-)

Rocky_H | 2017年8月23日

Heck yeah. High cost of living and long commute are two things I am really glad to do without.