Forums

Tinted windows

Tinted windows

This is a dumb question, but can you get the windows tinted at tesla as an option?

Pete

dsvick | 2017年8月24日

No. That is something you'll need to do on your own after you purchase.

lilbean | 2017年8月24日

Window tinting of the front windows is not legal in California so Tesla wouldn't offer that. I had my X windows tinted for a very good price, $100.

dsvick | 2017年8月25日

@lilbean

Which windows did you get tinted for that price? How much tint did you apply (if that matters to the price)? Where, roughly, are you located (Midwest, east coast, California)? Just trying to get an idea of cost since I probably will do the same.

jordanrichard | 2017年8月25日

Each state has it's own laws when it comes to which windows can and can not be tinted and how dark the tint can be. So there is absolutely no way Tesla is going to tint the windows based on where it is going.

sroh | 2017年8月25日

dsvick,
The cost will range depending on how many windows you want tinted and the type of tint you want. Here in the CA bay area, the going rate for the MS is around $500-700, including driver and passenger side windows but not the front windshield. This would be for decent/good ceramic tint. But the cost will increase if you want higher grade tints, front windshield, glass roof, etc.

JayInJapan | 2017年8月25日

I just had 3M film applied to all my windows, including the windshield. Where I used to feel lots of heat from the sun coming through the glass, on the drive home I felt very little. I'll know more when I drive it more. Cost here was about $700.

lilbean | 2017年8月26日

@dsvick, The rear passenger windows of the X come factory tinted and they are very dark. I tinted the driver and passenger front windows and the small triangular windows next to the side view mirrors. The Model 3 does not have those little triangular windows. I forgot the tint level the installer chose for me. I live in SoCal and went to http://www.sunshieldglasstinting.com
They were awesome. They do Jay Leno's cars. Here is a list of some of their clients: http://www.sunshieldglasstinting.com/window-tinting-clients
They are amazing. They chose the proper tint to match the car. Different brands have different tones. The higher end tint did not match the rear windows because it had more of a greenish tone. I was shocked at the great price and superb quality.