Forums

Powerwall 2 with no IP address?

Powerwall 2 with no IP address?

My installer is trying to commission a brand new Tesla Powerwall 2, but unable to connect to the wifi network created by the Gateway. ("TEG-hecline") The password is supposed to be my serial number, but that isn't working.

What's weirder is that the Gateway, which is connected via CAT 6, to my router, doesn't appear to have an IP address. It's powered on and connected, but it must have DHCP turned off by default.

Any idea what the default static IP address for the Gateway would be? Or how to get access to the Gateway at all?

sashton | 2017年10月27日

Your installer should have the information on how the password is built from the serial#
Step one of the configuration script following the insertion of the correct password is to optionally configure the other comms methods for the gateway. If Ethernet is selected then there is a radio button to select static or DHCP.
I never tried an initial connection to the GW via Ethernet before running the wizard so I would only be guessing its address but if it is active and the mac address sticker is visible on your GW then an arp -a command may help you find it.

jasonlmann | 2017年10月27日

Thanks for the advice on "arp-a".
I'll try that.

My poor installer spent four hours on the phone today getting bounced from one Tesla tech support person to another. Nobody had any idea why the password isn't working.

harrye | 2017年10月29日

You can (should) not have both WiFi and Ethernet enabled because the Tesla Energy Gateway (in terms of the Power Distribution System [it is]) would try to behave like a Network Traffic Router/Gateway [it is not or should not be] which would be a bad idea.

From what I've seen, Tesla assume a WiFi connection using a (defaulted Access Point or P2P device) that may take an IP address from your home network. However, if this fails (which it should because it does not know your WiFi password) it will create its own private WiFi network to which an Installer connects using their mobile phone.

[Typically 192.168.X.Y is used for a private network]

Using their Mobile Phone, the Installer can connect to and then make changes to suit your particular network.

As @sashton notes, the MAC addresses for the EG's WiFi and Ethernet chips should be on the physical "box" so note those when visible because you'll need them sooner or later.

Currently I've seen bugs (prior to EG versions at or below v1.6.0) whereby if you use Ethernet and a static IP address when trying to configure, the Default Gateway setting is lost and communications will fail [firmware update check and Internet Connection Test]. This causes the Wizard to fail and leave the PW-2 un-commissioned.

Using DHCP to initially obtain address information in your home network allows you to proceed past this to complete the Wizard (necessary to get commissioned properly) after which you can re-run the Wizard and select a static IP address/gateway.

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

jasonlmann | 2017年10月29日

Thanks Harry. We finally got up the support chain at Tesla and they told us that our gateway was part of a known bad batch that left the factory without any working credentials to connect via wifi. So they are going to replace it.

Thanks again for the help.

vechavarry | 2017年11月3日

I live in PR and I bought a Powerwall 2 DC with a SolarEdge inverter and 19 260V solar panels. I know that it uses internet connection to monitor the battery. But right now I don't have internet. Is there another way to monitor the battery regarding consumption, and recharging? Thanks in advance.

gshin8359 | 2018年1月8日

How do I connect to my Powerwall 2 Energy Gateway and if I do connect what is my default user name and password

gshin8359 | 2018年1月8日

Ok I can now connect to my powerwall 2 gateway but can't authenticate, is there a default username and password?

DarkSpearTriant | 2018年1月9日

"Any idea what the default static IP address for the Gateway would be?"

check the protocols manual

Markdbernstein | 2018年8月26日

Yesterday, 8/25/18 I received useful info and assistance from Tesla powerwall2 support on this issue which I want to share. First, getting to the Gateway network requires that you go to your settings then go to your WiFi network and wait until the TEG network comes up. If you have already registered it will come up with the last 3 digits of your PW2 serial number. When it comes up choose it as your WiFi. When it comes up it will say it’s unsecured, don’t leave, just proceed by touching the advanced button. Then enter the teg IP address which is available on line from Tesla. Input it and you’ll be prompted to input your email and password to get to your PW2 account. Switch to WiFi instead of a 3g network for communicating with the PW2 and your app or if you are satisfied using the TEG network, you’ll be able to see and monitor your wall from your browser.

Markdbernstein | 2018年8月26日

By the way, the IP address for the Tesla Energy Gateway the network for which is TEGXXX (the XXX being the last 3 digits of your PW2 Serial number is 192.168.91.1. Good luck everyone

cwied | 2018年8月27日

Are you saying that the TEGXXX wifi network no longer has a password for you? What firmware version are you on?

I haven't tried in a while, but it used to be that you had to use your serial number as the password to that network (adding an "S" in front of it if it didn't already have it). After connecting, the steps are as you describe.