Forums

Insideevs Article - Visitor On Factory Tour Spots Model 3s Entering Paint Shop Elevator Less Than Three Minutes Apart

Insideevs Article - Visitor On Factory Tour Spots Model 3s Entering Paint Shop Elevator Less Than Three Minutes Apart

akgolf | 2017年11月10日

Nice!

noleaf4me | 2017年11月11日

This story has been around for a while -- I'm wondering if this was more for show than for go though?

It would be awesome if they were really producing at that rate but I fear only parts of the plant are running at any one time and the real output is still a fraction of the 3 per minute.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年11月11日

noleaf4me: Or, every part of the Production process is faster than the paint booth, and that is the 'slow' part of the process at 'only' one car every three minutes...

carlk | 2017年11月11日

Dash and seats used to be installed by human workers on the S line.

WantMY | 2017年11月12日

TMC member poster small animated gif of moving assembly line at the factory he captured yesterday in moving state: https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohs7NVxzVpaVsbkL6/giphy.gif

mntlvr23 | 2017年11月12日

Very cool (but likely a big no no)

leo33 | 2017年11月12日

It's fun to see things like this. Although I'd guess that even if there's still a bad bottleneck somewhere, they would be sending through small batches of cars so they could test the other parts of the factory at higher speeds.

leo33 | 2017年11月12日

It's fun to see things like this. Although I'd guess that even if there's still a bad bottleneck somewhere, they would be sending through small batches of cars so they could test the other parts of the factory at higher speeds..

mos6507 | 2017年11月13日

It's funny how we're in 2017 and dithery 8-bit color animated gifs are becoming more popular than actual video clips.

Haggy | 2017年11月13日

The paint shop can handle 10,000 cars per week. It's a matter of getting the cars to it. If Tesla got in a stack of 20 new batteries because of the bottleneck, and the process right before the paint shop was spitting out a car every three minutes or so, you'd expect to see a car enter the paint shop every three minutes, but only for an hour. It don't mean nothing nohow.

rxlawdude | 2017年11月13日

@mos, it's due to the attention span of the meme-loving millennials.

95dawg | 2017年11月13日

@rxlawdude Says generation that grew up on Hercules. :)

andy.connor.e | 2017年11月13日

@95dawg Says generation that grew up without cell phones. :)

Frank99 | 2017年11月13日

I grew up with a single wall-phone in the house that we all had to share. And a phone call to Grandma was never longer than 5 minutes because of the long-distance charges. And there was only one TV in the house, and we all watched whatever Dad wanted, and one of the kids had to get up and change the channel for him. If we didn't like it, we went outside unsupervised and played with the neighbor kids doing dangerous things like riding bicycles and skateboards without helmets or wrist/knee guards.

95dawg | 2017年11月13日

@andy Your comment is for rxlawdude? lol

Rutrow | 2017年11月13日

I thought Ray Harryhausen movies were unsurpassable special effects.

i was just continuing the trend. too bad it stopped there

Yodrak. | 2017年11月13日

A single vintage desk phone, with a dial.

One TV with a 12" diagonal screen in a 4' diagonal cabinet with horizontal and vertical hold controls on the back that had to be adjusted every half hour.

Playing in the street and climbing in trees.

And Gramp's Packard - what a car!

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年11月13日

"One TV with a 12" diagonal screen in a 4' diagonal cabinet with horizontal and vertical hold controls on the back that had to be adjusted every half hour."

That was our TV. When did you get it?

rxlawdude | 2017年11月13日

I don't think I'm typical of my generation, in that I've always been, and continue to be, a tech geek. And I teach millennials at the postgraduate level. But millennials think and process very differently than previous generations, primarily because all they've known is the digital age. To them, a corded landline phone is a curiosity, and a corded rotary phone is - "what is THAT?".

I'd write more, but my attention span is waning. :-)

I had the fortunate experience of growing up from landlines/rotary phone to what we have today.
Literally pre-windows 95, no such thing as cellphones, TV was this big tube that probably had less than 480x360 resolution that took 30s for the picture to show up, DVD was non-existent still.

Oh the cassette tapes, record players were the standard until CD players. Burning CDs took like 3 hours. Videogaming was Ms. Pacman. Outside was unsupervised tree-fort building as an 8 year old using vines and sticks. Playing around in a rather large creek without flotation equipment.

Different times. Its very, very, very...... different times today.

Yodrak. | 2017年11月13日

"That was our TV. When did you get it?"

Not sure, it's just the first TV I remember. Early to mid '50s?

eeb9 | 2017年11月13日

Yup. Different Generations... We still had party lines in my neighborhood when I was a kid, and phone numbers with less than 7 digits (I had a 5-digit phone number as recently as 1982 in rural Utah, but I digress...)

PCs and video games did not exist. Pong came out about the time we got our first color TV - I was in high school.

The first "database" I managed was index cards in a small cabinet in the back of an Armored Personnel Carrier in the Army. Updating indexes was a paper-and-pencil exercise that we did once a day...

After the army I cut my teeth on CP/M, BTOS, DOS and assembler code...

All of which gives me useful perspective when dealing with current tech.

Yodrak. | 2017年11月13日

"Playing around in a rather large creek without flotation equipment."

You didn't make rafts from scrap wood and patched inner tubes?

Rafts? We built bridges over them with logs and sticks. Even re-routed some of the flow at points so that the bridges could be shorter.

stevenroglen | 2017年11月13日

You know what else you guys didn't have back then? A Tesla. You can knock the tech, but you'd be driving something else if it didn't exist.

eeb9 | 2017年11月13日

i wish! :-)

Our creeks were too small for either bridges *or* rafts, for the most part. Most of them I could jump over even as a kid, except during Spring runoff.

Stepping-stones were fun though - especially setting up stones that would tip if you didn't step on them correctly when we played Tag...

Yodrak. | 2017年11月13日

"You can knock the tech, but you'd be driving something else if it didn't exist."

We're not knocking tech, and a Tesla is way cooler than a Packard. But we are noting that there are other things for kids to do while their iPad is being recharged.

stevenroglen | 2017年11月13日

" But we are noting that there are other things for kids to do while their iPad is being recharged." -- Parenting is key

Yodrak. | 2017年11月13日

"Parenting is key"

Been there, done that. Now it's time to have fun again!

I've already been parented. Wheres my fun time?

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年11月13日

I love this stuff. We used to live in a cardboard box in the middle of the road...
https://youtu.be/26ZDB9h7BLY

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年11月13日

Just make sure you don't get like this George:

youtube
com/watch?v=X-AZy2W0qKg

95dawg | 2017年11月13日

This thread gave me a good chuckle. Good waste of time on a Monday.

I recall fondly my Moto StarTac cell phone. That was the sheet back then.
Moto was king.

George with SacEV | 2017年11月13日

Original broadcast TV was 260 lines/inch as I recall, but I'm old so the memory might be failing too.

rxlawdude | 2017年11月13日

I think old analog TV was 525 lines of vertical resolution, including overscan. Effective vertical resolution was 480.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年11月14日

Yes. 525 lines of interlaced display. A good bit of it covered by the bezel and cabinetry. Several decades later Sony Trinitron and later Mitsubishi 35" to 40" nearly 'flat' cathode ray tube displays were a marvel for the whole two minutes they were the height of display technology. I remember PONG being a black & white display in a funny shaped green & white pod with two knobs... That was before the Atari 2600 VCS arrived to wow us all with RF modulator technology... My fondest early memories of television included watching Speed Racer on Channel 52 with my nose maybe a whole 8" away from the full color 24" screen encased in floor model furniture cabinetry at my Cousin's house.

JustSaying | 2017年11月14日

My first "touch screen"
en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Winky_Dink_and_You

JustSaying | 2017年11月14日

https://en.wikipedia
.org/wiki/Winky_Dink_and_You

Carl Thompson | 2017年11月14日

If I recall correctly original broadcast TV in the US was NTSC at 240 lines per frame. It was interlaced to appear like 480 lines (successive frames slightly offset vertically) but I believe back in the day they mainly used a line-doubling technique so for most things there was not more than 240 lines of actual resolution.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年11月14日

Some of the bandwith within the broadcast signal was used for audio, and 'stole' lines of vertical resolution. But yeah, it was eventually decided that the visible portion of a 4:3 aspect ratio NTSC signal would be defined as 480 lines of vertical resolution.

There were some computer screen grabbers that did line doubling, before they were able to properly distinguish interlaced frames from progressive. Some graphics chips on home computers and videogame systems may have similarly used line doubling to mimic higher resolution and quicker refresh rates. Offhand, I think something of the sort was used on Atari 520ST and the original PlayStation. Typically, such modes resulted in more limited color palettes on those systems. Either monochrome or varing shades of gray to tan that were pawned off as being somehow 'Realtime, Real World' renderings.

daverileyak | 2017年11月16日

andy.c . . . pre-windows 95 (Oh my !), no cellphones, TV was this big tube, DVD was non-existent, cassette tapes, record players. Burning CDs took like 3 hours. Videogaming was Ms. Pacman . . . .

CDs and videogames already existed in your YOUTH? I was in my 30's when VHS and Betamax duked it out. Taught myself to program BASIC on a CBM Commodore PET (predecessor to the better known 64) when I was mid-thirties. I liked Ike. For his second term. I was too young to have a preference for his first election, but I remember it well.

And for all that, I neither feel old nor consider myself to be old. Seasoned with perspective, perhaps.

Carl Thompson | 2017年11月16日

@daverileyak

Commodore sucks! Atari rulez!!!

Back in the day we knew how to throw a flame war.

keydiver | 2017年11月17日

I tought myself Basic on an Atari 400 with a cassette storage drive. I later upgraded to an Atari 800 and an Indus 5 1/4" floppy. WooHoo! That was high tech.

Carl Thompson | 2017年11月17日

@keydiver

Yeah, I remember when I graduated to the Indus GT. Remember how much faster Indus' Synchromesh(tm) formating was? And you could tell it was faster because the Atari gave an audible beep every time the drives read a sector!

Just "JSR CIO"