Forums

Semi vs. Model 3

Semi vs. Model 3

Elon said the Semi will do 0-60 in 5 seconds. That's faster than the Model 3! Only newer or select versions of S & X and all Roadsters are quicker along with a handful of high-end ICE cars. Basically this Semi can out sprint a vast majority of all cars on the road. Big rigs will no longer be the sloths we are accustomed to easily passing. Will require a different method of negotiating with the Semi's unless they are weighed down by a heavy trailer.

PhillyGal | 2017年11月20日

My suggestion is that you stick with your plan to order the Model 3 instead of the Semi. It'll be markedly easier to park.

:-P

Tropopause | 2017年11月20日

Very true, PhillyGal! My Model 3 reservation is still in tact.

lilbean | 2017年11月20日

I want the semi. How many passengers fit in the back?

edhchoe | 2017年11月20日

You can fit 2 chairs in the back. The chairs cost one arm and a leg.

Xerogas | 2017年11月20日

If you pack them in tightly, I imagine 400-500 passengers would use up your 80,000 pound cargo allotment. And it's a hatchback, so that should make some people happy!

lilbean | 2017年11月20日

Haha!

Carl Thompson | 2017年11月20日

How often do you need to deal with passing a semi without the trailer? And if it has the trailer you'll do just fine passing it with your Model 3. Plus semi drivers as a rule do not drive aggressively. Being at fault in one avoidable accident could end their careers.

edhchoe | 2017年11月20日

In My experience semi with no trailer can do much better than 15 sec 0-60

jordanrichard | 2017年11月20日

edhchoe, the Tesla semi will hit 60 in 5 seconds, not 15. Most passenger cars can't do that. Also, that 5 sec is while pulling an empty trailer.

Frank99 | 2017年11月20日

Some quick googling suggests that a tractor+empty trailer is about 15 seconds 0-60, and fully loaded (80,000 gvw) it's about 60 seconds 0-60. Didn't see a reference for a tractor-only.

Illegal immigrants coming across the southern border pay Coyotes fees of $2000-$4000. 500 at $2000 / head would be about $1,000,000 - quite a handsome profit on the $250,000 investment in the truck. Of course, the industrial X-Ray machine they use to examine the trailer might exceed the FDA human dose limits - but those are just excessive government regulations anyway. Maybe I'll quit my day job...

carlk | 2017年11月20日

Think about it getting a Semi as daily driver may not be that bad an idea. It can tow whatever you want when there is a need.

dsvick | 2017年11月20日

@Frank99 - "Of course, the industrial X-Ray machine they use to examine the trailer might exceed the FDA human dose limits"

You could line it with foil....like some people do with their hats ....

jefjes | 2017年11月20日

"Think about it getting a Semi as daily driver may not be that bad an idea. It can tow whatever you want when there is a need."
Like the ICEed over charger supercharger spots, just hook up and drag them over in front of the gas pumps so they can block those instead....lol.

Haggy | 2017年11月20日

While it might go from 0-60 1/10th of a second faster than a Model 3, that doesn't factor in the AWD option, which will be out long before the Semi. Plus, it will be cheaper.

andy.connor.e | 2017年11月20日

The Model 3 is like 1/10 the weight of the truck.

edhchoe | 2017年11月20日

The price is 1/10th.

Shock | 2017年11月20日

It's really weird how fast that semi is. Would have to been seen in person to be believed almost, like I have a hard time imagining it after a life time of slow semis.

Iwantmy3 | 2017年11月20日

They never published the performance specs for the Semi based pickup truck. That thing should check all the boxes.

andy.connor.e | 2017年11月20日

The semi performance is easy to understand. Since there arent 16 gears, the full torque of the engine can be utilized with or without load, without needing to spend time shifting 16 gears. The amount of torque the engine needs to pull 80,000lbs is the same amount of torque applied to the tractor part without load. Pretty sweet, to see a semi accelerate out of a stoplight faster than most cars on the road will blow peoples minds into another dimension.

JAD | 2017年11月20日

It was also weird for the giant vehicle to roll up, blow the air horn like a semi, then silently accelerate away without all the normal semi jerking, bouncing and roaring.

edhchoe | 2017年11月20日

Tesla should make school buses. Then all Cool kids will start riding school bus.

hsadler | 2017年11月20日

Let's see.... I get the Tesla Semi, use it to carry two MS's on road trips. Save charging stops. And..... it will get there faster.

noleaf4me | 2017年11月20日

Model 3 tested by Motor trend at 4.8 seconds......argument over - Model 3 is faster....

Yodrak. | 2017年11月20日

If you've got enough battery to pull a full load 500 miles, imagine being able to dump all those kW into 4 motors with no load. It's built in Ludicrous Mode. Of course the semi all by itself can accelerate like a bat out of hell.

swingshiftworker | 2017年11月20日

You'll need a commercial Class A license to drive a semi tractor and it will NOT go 0-60 w/a trailer. Only the tractor alone will be able to do that.

The cost of the semi will also be substantially greater than a Model 3 or a Model S or X for that matter. They will be marketed mainly to corporations and businesses that can afford a fleet of their own.

Right now it just looks like a "concept car" to me. Pricing has yet to be specified but various sites are estimating something around $250k based on the cost of the battery and a premium for the estimated fuel savings over diesel.

So, it's not something that anyone would probably want to buy in lieu of a Model 3.

Yodrak. | 2017年11月20日

"it's not something that anyone would probably want to buy in lieu of a Model 3"

I tend to agree with you, but then look at all those people who bought Hummers when a non-military version became available. And all those people today who are buying F350 pickups to carry nothing but a bed full of air. It's the weird factor.

@jordanrichard:
" Also, that 5 sec is while pulling an empty trailer."

Not according to Tesla it isn't.

@carlk:
"Think about it getting a Semi as daily driver may not be that bad an idea. It can tow whatever you want when there is a need."

Does the Semi come with a tow hitch? ;-)

kaffine | 2017年11月20日

swingshiftworker

Actually you can get away with a class B non-CDL to drive that assuming non-commercial use. With a Class B license you can drive the tractor and tow a small trailer less than 10k lbs weight rating. You need a Class A license to tow more than 10k lbs with it.

I would take the semi over the 3 but can't afford the price difference. There are times I need more capacity than the 1 ton dually truck I generally use for such tasks. And the price of fuel should still be less than my current ride. I did the math if I dedicate my entire electric service to the tractor I could recharge it overnight for my commute the next day.

From the experience I have driving tractors around parking lots as a mechanic they are easier to park than some cars. You have great mirror coverage for parallel parking and great turning radius because the front wheels can turn +- 50 degrees on most of them.

Rutrow | 2017年11月20日

Would the Semi qualify for Uber Black?

andy.connor.e | 2017年11月21日

I'd uber in a Tesla semi