Forums

Model X Tire Pressure Warning

Model X Tire Pressure Warning

Here (Colorado) it is getting pretty cold. The Model X dashboard shows a low tire pressure waring, with all 4 tires at 37 psi.

My hand held time pressure guage shows 41 psi in each tire - same as when the car was delivered in Sept.

Yes, I have tried other hand held guages and got the same 41 psi reading.

What's going on? Is the car's tire monitor being affected by the low ambient temperature?

Ohmster | 2017年12月26日

Isn’t there a reset TPMS in the Service screen? Could give that a try.

AlphonseKarr | 2017年12月26日

Had a couple of pressure warnings when ambient temp below zero. Goes away when garaged overnight.

AlphonseKarr | 2017年12月26日

High school physics? Not sure about your hand-held gauges, though.

T34Bravo | 2017年12月26日

*Gauge

hoffenberg | 2017年12月27日

How do you get tire pressure readings? Cannot figure it out. Thanks

Ohmster | 2017年12月27日

^Push down on either thumb wheel to get the different views. Roll wheel to select ‘Status’. Press to select.

This is from memory so hopefully somewhat correct. :)

hoffenberg | 2017年12月27日

Thanks!!!

theresanang | 2017年12月27日

For what it's worth I got this a few days ago, on 3 tires all at once. I was suspicious but took it to a pump, and the readings were accurate - 37 psi on those three. Put them up to 42, all was fine. I'm sure it was the sudden onset of cold weather but the tires really did need a bit of air.

Uncle Paul | 2017年12月27日

The car does not care what any other gauges show, only gets data from the pressure sensors inside it's tires.

It recomends 42 lbs minimum for the model X. Any readings below that can trigger an alert. It is not unusual that when the temperature drops, the tire pressures also drop, triggering an alert. It tells the operator that they should add pressure to the tires and which tires have which readings.

Federal regulation control these systems and they are becoming mandatory. Proper tire pressure is required for safety and efficiency.

Some may wish to run with lower pressures due to desires for softer or quieter ride, or just do not want to be bothered with adding pressure.. The pressure system reminds us that safety and efficiency are more important in the eyes of the Fed.

Uncle Paul | 2017年12月27日

The car does not care what any other gauges show, only gets data from the pressure sensors inside it's tires.

It recomends 42 lbs minimum for the model X. Any readings below that can trigger an alert. It is not unusual that when the temperature drops, the tire pressures also drop, triggering an alert. It tells the operator that they should add pressure to the tires and which tires have which readings.

Federal regulation control these systems and they are becoming mandatory. Proper tire pressure is required for safety and efficiency.

Some may wish to run with lower pressures due to desires for softer or quieter ride, or just do not want to be bothered with adding pressure.. The pressure system reminds us that safety and efficiency are more important in the eyes of the Fed.

francoisbitz | 2017年12月28日

There was a similar issue on the Bolt Forum today.
Apparently the altitude is a big factor too..the internal sensors would measure differently as an external gauge that has external air to "compare"

jackcolo | 2017年12月30日

Prtoblem went away as we got a couple of warm days. Interesting is that 2 friends have new Porsches (Cayenne and 718) and both have experience the same problem in the recent cold snap.

Bottom line: I will add a couple of psi to bring all tires up to max allowable pressure and make sure all are exactly equal.

Then, I will stop worring about this .... and concentrate on getingt the EZ Entry feature to do what i expect it to do.

Love my Model X!!

nutner | 2017年12月31日

11centigrade in my garage, 41psi shown in dash. -18C outside after 2 hours and 35 psi shown in dash. Same for all 4 tires. Temp made a much bigger difference to pressure than I expected. I have the 20 inch all season conti wheel/tire combo.

garyjlavin | 2019年9月23日

Seems like we should have an option to just be warned when the tire pressure drops more than10 points or does the Fed prevent that?