Forums

Tinting the rear glass, what did you do?

Tinting the rear glass, what did you do?

Lilbean asked a question which got me wondering how others have handled the tinting of the rear glass. Since the factory tint transitions from zero to full tint over a couple of inches, it is impossible to make the tint look seamless (unless you tinted the entire piece of glass, making the upper roof glass VERY dark, or found a tint that had the exact opposite fade in it ... which I don't believe exists currently). I chose to terminate the tint in the middle of that factory fade as pictured below. I'm curious to know what others have done. I didn't want the roof glass any darker than it already was.

https://twitter.com/nakediceclimber/status/975025774020276225

lilbean | 2018年3月17日

Thanks for posting the picture! It looks great. Does the rear glass need to be tinted to protect the back seat passengers?

Carl Thompson | 2018年3月17日

I probably would have taken it a little higher to where the roof fade starts. That way it would just be one line instead of roof + fade lighter + dark.

It looks good though!

djharrington | 2018年3月17日

@Carl: I trimmed there first, but the band was crazy dark. The tint guys took it originally about 6" into the full tint. That looked really crazy!!

@lil, wifey wanted to go dark on doors so I figured it should match

lilbean | 2018年3月17日

@dj, That makes sense. I hope mine looks as good as yours does.

Tesla-David | 2018年3月17日

We tinted the entire rear glass in our M3, and very much like the way it looks in our Silver M3.

@djharrington

Ahh, I see. So there's either a band where it's a little lighter or a band where it's a lot darker. You made the right choice!

Maybe I should go into business with 3M to develop the correct "anti-gradient" to match the cars. Then I can sell it to TSportline to sell to all of you at 400% markup. That's my Master Plan muahahahahahaha

lilbean | 2018年3月17日

Hahaha!